Eastern Michigan Vs. Toledo

Seniors Samantha Basham and Raeven Chase lead EMU womens' volleyball at home-opener matches

EMU dropped both matches against the University of Toledo at both of Thursday's home matches.

The Eastern Michigan University women’s volleyball team held their first home-opener games inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center on September 22-23 against the University of Toledo, where EMU dropped both matches, 3-0, to the Rockets. 

The conference losses decreased the Eagles season record to 1-13 overall and 0-2 in league play. 

On Thursday, the Eagles lost their first set 25-20, after falling behind early on.

During the second set, the Eagles were still not able to take the lead against Toledo after balling behind early and never gaining the advantage. The second set was dropped, 25-14.

In the third set, EMU and Toledo went back-and-forth, tying up with Toledo five teams before the opponent grabbed the lead for good at 17-16. The Eagles came up short losing the third set, 25-22.

Senior Samantha Basham finished the match with 10 kills, leading the Eagles, while senior Raeven Chase finished with nine kills. Sophomore Kendall Burk led the Eagles with six digs, while senior Kamryn Stilwell and Basham each finished with five. 

Basham’s 10 kills marked the fifth time this season that she has recorded double digit kills for EMU and put her at 700 career attacks overall.

On Friday, EMU played their second match against Toledo. In the first set, after a solid attacking performance from the Eagles allowed them to total 10 kills, EMU fell short, 25-17.

In the second set, EMU and Toledo saw six ties early on, before Toledo finally grabbed the lead at 8-7, and finished the set 25-16.

The third set was a back-and-forth battle between EMU and Toledo, as the set consisted of five lead changes and eight ties. The Eagles came up short in the end, dropping the final set 25-22. 

Chase led the Eagles as she finished with nine kills, while Basham put up seven kills in the match, making it the thirteenth time in 14 matches she’s had at least seven kills. Defensively, sophomore Kendall Burk presented seven digs for the team. 

Next up, the Eagles will face off against the reigning Mid-American Conference tournament champions, Ball State University. The game will be hosted on Friday, September 30 by the Cardinals in Munchie, Indiana. 

For more information on the EMU womens’ volleyball team, visit EMUEagles.com.