pearl

Review: ‘Pearl’ will captivate you in an eerie period piece

Mia Goth astonishes as Pearl.

If you're a fan of classic films with a modern uncanny flare, then "Pearl" is for you. The film feels like you're stepping into a time machine while somehow keeping your attention.

Synopsis

Trapped on her family's isolated farm, Pearl must deal with her overbearing mother and take care of her sickly father. Pearl strives for a glamorous life and will not let her dreams of stardom fail. “Pear’“ stars Mia Goth as Pearl and David Corenswet as Howard. 

What I loved

Mia Goth. Goth does an amazing job at making a character so intriguing you can't help but keep your eyes on her. Even though there seems to be a lack of plot, Pearl herself will dazzle you with her star power and keep you watching.

What I didn't love

The lack of plot. Even now, the only thing I can take from this film is that Pearl wants to be a star, and my opinion is that she shows she is one. But other than that, there's not a lot of story to follow and nothing truly memorable.

Verdict

My review is short, just like the film. It definitely takes you on a timey stroll that scares you sensile at some points. It’s a part of a trilogy story, and this is the prequel film, so that's something to keep in mind while watching it. I feel like I could watch the last hour of the film and it would still give me the entire story. 

I give "Pearl” a 5 out of 10.