The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Election Day: What to know?

Michigan voters have big decisions to make on Nov. 8.

On Nov. 8, Michigan voters will choose the next governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, secretary of state, and congressional district representatives. Voters will also decide on three proposals focused on term limits, election access, and abortion rights.

Eastern Michigan University encourages everyone who is eligible to exercise their right to vote and cancelled classes on Election Day to give students and faculty time to get to the polls.

Additionally, EMU’s Honors College is serving as a new polling location this year, for voters in Ypsilanti’s Ward 3, Precinct 1.

Here’s what student voters should know for this election:

Getting prepared

• Make sure you are registered to vote.
  • Find your polling location on your voter registration card or on the city's map.
  • Bring a valid ID.
  • Other Election Day tips

• The ride share app Lyft is offering 50% off to help people get to the polls using code VOTE22 on Election Day.
    • Read all instructions on your ballot.
    • Check out Vote411.org for more voting information.
    • If you make a mistake on your ballot you can ask for a new one.
    • If the machines are down at your polling place you can ask for a paper ballot.
    • If you run into any problems or have questions on Election Day, call the Election Protection Hotline at 1-866-OUR-VOTE.

What will be on the ballot

Key statewide races

Governor: Incumbent Gretchen Whitmer (D) faces Republican challenger Tudor Dixon

Lt. Governor: Incumbent Garlin Gilchrist II (D) faces Republican challenger Shane Hernandez

Attorney General: Incumbent Dana Nessel (D) faces GOP challenger Matthew DePerno

Secretary of State: Incumbent Jocelyn Benson (D) faces GOP challenger Kristina Karamo

Note: In each of the four state leadership offices, the races also include a number of candidates that are either independent or aligned with another political party, including from other parties, including the Green, Libertarian, Natural Law and U.S. Taxpayers parties.

Proposal guide

Proposal 1 alters and shortens term limits, and mandates financial disclosure for state elected officials. The proposal would require state lawmakers and those holding top statewide offices to disclose information about their finances that could reveal potential conflicts of interest. Under the proposed constitutional amendment, the governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general, and state legislators would have to file an annual report that includes a description of their assets and liabilities.

Voting “yes” would apply a flat 12-year term limit to lawmakers’ tenure and strengthen financial disclosure rules for state elected officials, such as the governor, secretary of state, attorney general, and all 148 state lawmakers.

Voting “no” allows lawmakers to serve up to six years in the House and eight years in the Senate, with no financial disclosure requirements for the state’s top elected officials.

Proposal 2 establishes at least nine days of in-person early voting; allows the counting of military and overseas ballots postmarked by Election Day that arrives within six days of the election; and enables voters to automatically receive absentee ballots for all future elections. Furthermore, it would establish a "fundamental right to vote" in the Michigan Constitution and bar actions that have "the intent or effect of denying, abridging, interfering with, or unreasonably burdening the fundamental right to vote."

A “yes” vote would add several changes to the Michigan Constitution, including allowing nine days of early voting and expanded access to absentee voting.

A “no” vote would reject the proposed changes and keep existing election procedures.

Proposal 3 would specifically add to the Michigan Constitution the right to seek an abortion. The proposal establishes a "fundamental right to reproductive freedom, which entails the right to make and effectuate decisions about all matters relating to pregnancy." The constitutional amendment states that the "right to reproductive freedom shall not be denied, burdened, nor infringed upon unless justified by a compelling state interest achieved by the least restrictive means."

A "yes" vote would write a broad new right to "reproductive freedom" into the Michigan Constitution, invaliding a 1931 abortion ban and potentially other existing regulations.

A "no" vote would leave abortion access up to elected officials in Lansing or judges, possibly resulting in the upholding of the 1931 abortion ban.