Eastern Michigan vs Michigan (Basketball)

EMU men’s basketball falls to BGSU in MAC Opener

Emoni Bates led the Eagles with 15 points.

The Eastern Michigan University men’s basketball team (3-11, 0-1 MAC) hosted Bowling Green State University inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center to open up MAC play for the 2022-23 season. The Eagles struggled early which resulted in a 65-91 loss. 

This marks the second-straight game EMU has dropped, as they lost to the South Carolina Gamecocks on Friday, Dec. 30, 2022.

In the first half, EMU showed their struggles early as the Eagles committed a couple turnovers to find themselves down, 17-11, at the first timeout. Despite hitting a couple of three pointers to come within two points, EMU couldn’t maintain their momentum as they entered halftime down, 45-34.

During the second half Bowling Green State jumped to a 50-35 lead before the Eagles started a little spark of their own on a 7-0 run to cut the deficit to 50-42. The rest of the half was BGSU’s, as they caught fire to outscore the Eagles and pickup a 91-65 win. 

Sophomore Emoni Bates led all scorers in the matchup as he finished with 15 points. Fellow sophomore Tyson Acuff added 14 points. 

Redshirt freshman Javantae Randle finished with a career-high eight points and also grabbed six rebounds, which was one shy of his career-high in rebounds. 

Next up, the Eagles will host MAC-rival Central Michigan University on Jan. 7, inside the George Gervin GameAbove Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. and will be streamed live on ESPN3 and WEMU (89.1 FM). 

To stay up to date on the EMU men’s basketball team, visit EMUEagles.com.