Taylor Hopkins goes 3-for-4 in 7-5 Victory against Oakland

Eagles breaks tie during the final inning

The Eastern Michigan University baseball team (11-13, 4-8) took home a 7-5 non-conference win over the Oakland University Golden Grizzlies (8-14) on Tuesday, March 28. 

Taylor Hopkins (Mason, Ohio) hit two home runs in the game during the fourth and sixth inning for the third time in his career, followed by a walk and a pair of RBIs. The senior is currently leading the Eagles with 12 career games with more than three hits or greater. 

Left-handed pitcher Trevor House (Okeana, Ohio) had 1.2 shutout innings, giving up one hit, allowing no walks, and striking out three. 

California native Kyle Schroedle (Redding, Calif.) went 2-for-4 with three RBIs and the first home run of his EMU career, finishing the game with two hits, the first since EMU’s game against Butler on March 21. 

Josh Kross (Brunswick, Ohio) added to the scoreboard with two hits in five trips to the plate with an additional RBI. The RBI makes Kross the first EMU batter to record 25 in the 2023 regular season. Kross’ two hits tallied his 10th multi-hit game of the season, recording the most of any Eagle in the 2023 season. 

The Eagles were first to score in the fourth inning as Hopkins hit a home run. The Golden Grizzlies were still not on the board as the Eagles stretched their lead to 2-0, in the sixth inning. 

Oakland took advantage during the eighth inning by expanding the score to 5-2, but the Eagles fought back with three home runs which tied the score at five. The Eagles were able to break the tie in the final inning, finishing with a victory of 7-5 as Josh Kross’ run-scoring single brought in one run in a two-run output. 

EMU tallied three home runs during the game, recording the second time this season that the Eagles hit three or more home runs as they did so in the game against Akron on March 18. Wednesday’s game marked the 47th all-time contest between EMU and Oakland. 

The Eagles will head to Athens, Ohio to take on the Ohio Bobcats for a three-game starting March 31, and concluding on April 2.

For more information on the Eastern Michigan mens baseball team, you can listen to "TheBlockE Podcast" for updates on all EMU athletics.