YDLSummerChallenge1.png

Ypsilanti District Library announces annual Summer Challenge

The Summer Challenge aims to give community members the opportunity to read while also learning and exploring the community.

The Ypsilanti District Library Summer Challenge entered its fourth week Sunday.

The challenge started June 10, and runs until Aug. 27, 2023. This multi-month event aims to promote reading, learning and exploration throughout the summer.

This multi-month event aims to promote reading, learning and exploration throughout the summer.

For the duration of the event, participants will be able to select challenges to pursue. These will encompass taking pictures, locating Ypsilanti Bicentennial-themed geocaches, engaging in a scavenger hunt and more. The act of reading will also be highlighted.

After each challenge is completed, a digital badge will be earned.

"It's encouraging people to engage with different things in the community that they might not have engaged with," Sam Killian, community relations coordinator with the Ypsilanti District Library, said.

Prizes will be awarded for the completion of such challenges. Once someone collects their first 10 digital badges, they are eligible to receive a prize at the library.

Individuals under the age of 18 will receive a free meal coupon for Aubree's Pizzeria and Grill along with a free book, and they will also continue to receive additional prizes for every ten badges earned. Those over the age of 18 will receive a free Ypsilanti District Library tote bag.

The library has been hosting its Summer Challenge for multiple years. Although it has evolved over time, it has continuously aimed to be an engaging way for students to continue reading while out of school.

"This is meant to close that gap a little bit and keep people from that summer slide," Killian said.

Over 2,000 people signed up for the challenge in 2022, which was 700 more than during the previous year's challenge. In addition, in 2022 over 21,500 books were read and around 3,000 challenges were completed.

A kickoff event will be held at the Superior Branch from 1-4 p.m on June 10. The Sazanami 漣 Taiko Arts Ensemble will provide a drumming performance, and the Michigan Science Center will provide STEM stations with activities to participate in.

The challenge is free to partake in and open to all ages. Registration is required and can be completed through the library's website.