The Eastern Echo Sunday, Sept. 1, 2024 | Print Archive

20230820_104407.jpg

Construction currently taking place around Ypsilanti

Ypsilanti continues construction as part of a multi-year plan to rehabilitate roads and sidewalks for residents.

The current construction projects for this year include Forest Avenue Bridge Deck, Ypsilanti Community Utilities Authority (YCUA) water infrastructure, Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) Pavement Rehabilitation and Pedestrian Crossing of I-94, Huron River Drive and Parkridge Park all as major sites for construction efforts. All these projects have the main goal of making roadways more accessible for residents by implementing bike lanes and improving sidewalks conditions.

“The primary goal of any road project is generally pavement restoration- but with all of the current projects, we’re also making significant improvements to pedestrian and bicyclist safety and mobility,” Bonnie Wessler, Ypsilanti director of public services, said.

Within many locations of these downtown projects, they are adding bicycle lanes, bus pull offs and, in many places, upgrading ADA crosswalk ramps. On Forest Street, they are making improvements to the Border to Border Trail, which is a project throughout Washtenaw County that is dedicated to non-motorized transportation.

“Generally, people get pretty frustrated during construction, but are happy to have the added bicycle and pedestrian facilities, repaired utilities, and the fresh pavement,” Wessler said.

All of these projects are a part of a Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) that coordinates the planning process of the city's expenditures, which is updated annually. The CIP is seen as the link between budget and planning for the capital expenditures to make sure everything aligns with the city's goals and objectives. 

“Roads projects cover more than just the pavement- they include the utilities and facilities for all legal road users,” Wessler said. “They also take years to plan and fund, and a consistent and adequate stream of funding for maintenance is every bit as important as funding for replacement.”

Construction will continue over the coming years as infrastructure is repaired and improved throughout the community. Taking construction delays into your daily planning is recommended by the city. Those interested can find more information on the city's construction plans on their website.