Eastern Michigan Vs. Buffalo

EMU football’s Evans eyes Eagles’ career touchdown record

Patton currently holds record with 31 career rushing touchdowns

EMU running back Samson Evans is two touchdowns from becoming Eastern Michigan University's all-time touchdown leader.

Evan's two-yard touchdown run against Howard in the season home opener Sept. 1 put his career mark at 30. 

Gary Patton, who represented the green-and-white from 1984 until 1987, rushed for a career 31 touchdowns for the then-called Hurons. Patton logged 3,497 career rushing yards, and 5,553 all-purpose yards while playing for EMU.

Evans, once an Iowa Hawkeye, transferred to EMU in 2020 after a two-year stint at the University of Iowa, where he saw little game action, bouncing between running back and wide receiver. 

Samson Evans
Samson Evans is a running back for the Eastern Michigan University football team.

Through his career at EMU, Evans has rushed for 1,809 yards on 400 attempts, averaging 60.3 yards a game. He ranks 16th in EMU history for total rushing yards. 

His best season in Ypsilanti, Michigan, came last year when Evans finished as a second team All-MAC selection. He rushed for 1,166 yards and 15 touchdowns. 

Evans also ranks third highest in EMU history for total rushing yards in a game, logging 258 rushing yards in EMU’s upset win over Arizona State University last season.

Editor's note: Several statistics on Evans' performance were listed incorrectly in the Sept. 11, print edition of The Eastern Echo, due to an editor's error. We apologize and regret the errors.