This color map shows the structures and parking and natural areas of Eastern Michigan University's campus in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

What's The Move - Sept. 11-17

Auschwitz to the NBA 

Dan Grunfeld Jewish Studies flyer image.JPG

Dan Grunfeld, in this photo from an event flyer, is an author and professional athlete whose grandmother survived the Holocaust. Grunfeld is speaking at EMU as part of a program by the Center for Jewish Studies.

On Monday, Sept. 11, Professional athlete Dan Grunfeld is the grandson of a Holocaust survivor. On Monday, Sept. 11, he'll be at the EMU Student Center, sharing his family's story, from Auschwitz to the NBA. Grunfeld's family story is the focus of a book he authored, "By the Grace of the Game." During an address that starts at 7 p.m. in room 310A at the Student Center, Grunfeld will discuss lessons of survival, perseverance and hope. Sponsored by the Center for Jewish Studies at the university, the event is free and open to the public.

Sex in the Dark 

On Wednesday, Sept. 13, a panel of experts will answer student questions about sex during this program in the Student Center Ballroom. The event includes freebees, including glow-in-the-dark items, safe sex products, and moody cocktails.

Hops and Cops

Also on Wednesday, Sept. 13, EMU police officers will be on hand to answer questions and say hello during this event which also features fluffy rabbits, coffee and snacks. It's from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Student Center.

Want to be a better public speaker?

On Wednesday, Sept. 13, coaches from the award-winning EMU Forensics team are ready to provide some tips in this evening workshop at Halle Library. The fun runs from 6 to 7:30 p.m. in Room G06 at the library.

Watch "Joy Ride" outdoors

On Friday, Sept. 15, the film "Joy Ride" is the feature for Movie in the Park, at the campus amphitheater. The show starts at 8:30 p.m. Snacks and soda will be available.

Wiard's Orchards and Country Fair

Wiard's Orchards logo Open Graph Image.png
Wiard's Orchards is a you-pick farm and fall event site at 5565 Merritt Road in Ypsilanti, Michigan.

Old west wagon rides, a corn maze, petting farm and mini golf highlight the entertainment every Saturday and Sunday from September to October at Wiard's Orchards, 5565 Merritt Road in Ypsilanti. The events run from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. both weekend days. And if all the activity makes one hungry, there are plenty of donuts and cider, as well as you-pick apples and pumpkins. The orchards' country store will also be open.

Electric sounds at The Fallout Shelter

On Thursday, starting at 7:30 p.m., DJs Jamison "The Silent EchO" Lundy and DJ None team up with other local talent to provide forward-thinking electric sounds at 15 E. Cross St. in Ypsilanti. Presented by EchOlabs Light Industries, the performance occurs weekly at The Fallout Shelter at 734 Brewing Co., with a selection of established talent and rising stars appearing each week. Admission is a suggested donation of $5.

Car Show, Band Day and Kid's Club at Rynearson Stadium

On Saturday, Sept. 16, the Eagles take on the University of Massachusetts Minutemen, with a 2 p.m. kickoff. The day will be full with a car show at the stadium, and bands from across the region there to perform. Tickets range from $8 to $24. Students are admitted without charge with a current EMU ID. 

Constitution Day

Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson from SOS website.JPG
Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson was elected to the office in 2018.

On Thursday, Sept. 21, Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson visits the EMU campus Thursday, Sept. 21, as the university celebrates Constitution Day and the grand opening of the Upshur Institute for Civic Education. Benson is expected to speak on the importance of civic education during the grand opening celebration, which runs from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom at the Student Center.