kaitlyn-baker-vZJdYl5JVXY-unsplash.jpg

New EMU program to help enhance skills in innovation and strategic leadership

The Master of Science in Management of Innovation and Strategy is a Detroit-based program helping working professionals.

A new academic program designed to enhance working professionals' skills as innovative and strategic leaders are coming to Eastern Michigan University. On Oct. 19, the University's Board of Regents approved the new Master of Science in Management of Innovation Strategy program.

EMU aims to expand its curriculum and give students more opportunities for growth in their field of study. In this program, participants will gain access to tools and techniques that will allow them to foster their creativity and manage strategic plans. In addition, it will help them to communicate effectively as leaders.

“Leading innovation and strategy development for businesses large and small has never been more important,” Rhonda Longworth, Eastern Michigan University provost and executive vice president for academic and student affairs, said in a written statement. “The pace of change in all facets of today’s business environment requires leadership to be more nimble than ever. This new program will enable our graduates to develop innovative and creative strategies to tackle the most pressing of organizational challenges.” 

The Master of Science in Management of Innovation and Strategy program is specifically intended to draw in the professional audience of Southeastern Michigan. Scheduled to launch in fall of 2024, the program will be located in downtown Detroit where the majority of Michigan's largest employers are located.

The program will also strive to be as convenient as possible for working professionals. Classes will meet twice a week during lunch hours so faculty with doctoral degrees can teach the courses with regular guest lectures by senior business executives. These classes will be small so that students can work one-on-one and receive personalized attention.

Taught with a variety of teaching methods, the program will dive into business case studies, simulations, and projects. This, in turn, will give students access to hands-on learning experiences.