The Eastern Echo Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024 | Print Archive

Spin scooter.JPG

EMU's Spin e-scooters seen as a success a year after launch

Perception towards Spin Products has Improved

On Sept. 19 of 2022, Eastern Michigan University introduced the Spin electric scooters, a year later the number of scooters on campus has doubled.

As part of a partnership with Spin, EMU started with 50 scooters on campus and now according to their website has reached to 100. Operating 24 hours a day, students and staff are able to ride the e-scooters across campus as long as it is not within the no ride zones.

In some universities, e-scooters have been met with disapproval due to safety concerns. The scooters have even been banned on some campuses such as Columbia University and Boston University due to reckless driving and fire hazards. At EMU the Spins have been seen as a success, according to the university’s public relations team.

"Ridership at EMU has consistently mirrored patterns seen in university programs worldwide. We experienced our highest ridership levels ever at the beginning of the fall semester this year, marking a particularly encouraging trend. Anticipating a decline in ridership as the weather turns colder, we look forward to a resurgence come spring semester,” EMU's public relation team said.

Read more: EMU launches e-scooters Sept. 19 to improve campus transportation

However, the rider’s usage has declined in the colder months of the fall semester, the scooters are still available until snowfall.

When asked about the scooter’s reputation and perception, EMU's public relations team said “Regarding perceptions of the scooters, the trajectory has been overwhelmingly positive. As is common with any new mode of transportation, there is an initial learning curve. Many individuals initially try the scooters due to their novelty, but as that excitement wanes, they reveal themselves as a sustainable and enjoyable means of transportation for short distances. This shift in perception is recurrent, demonstrating that communities consistently embrace and accept scooters as a valuable alternative to single-occupancy vehicle trips”.

The Spin scooters are discussed and the future of the scooters are generally presented during board meetings.

“Regarding the Spin Scooters, from what health and safety has gleaned it appears those who use the Spin Scooters appreciate the efficiencies gained as they positively influence their time management and fuel savings,” Kathryn Wilhoff, director of Environmental Health and Safety, said.

The scooters are accessible to anyone with the Spin app and card. Spin scooters can be accessed via the Spin app which is downloadable for free. The base cost of renting a scooter is a dollar and the price increases $0.39 per minute to ride.