The Eastern Echo Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 | Print Archive

MLK EMU Men's Basketball Game v. Ball State

Eagles lose close call to Toledo, 91-87

Acuff finishes with 24 points in loss

The Eastern Michigan University men's basketball team fell in a valiant effort to the Toledo Rockets at the George Gervin GameAbove Center on Feb. 7, with the game ending 87-91 respectively.

Junior guard Tyson Acuff (Detroit, Mich.) led the way for the Eagles with 24 points during a 40-minute performance. He also added eight rebounds and five assists. The 24-point outing from Acuff now marks his 25th straight game scoring 10 points or more.

Sophomore guard Orlando Lovejoy (Detroit, Mich.) had a notable performance as he electrified the Eagles through the loss having 16 points, six assists, and three steals.

Arne Osojnik (Ljubljana, Slovenia) had 14 while being 4-for-8 from beyond the arc. Another double-digit contributor was Jalin Billingsley (Cleveland, Ohio) with 13 points and eight rebounds, including another ten-point performance from Yusuf Jihad (Farmington Hills, Mich.)

The Eagles unfortunately suffered from issues at the line due to their foul troubles. The team managed to go 3-for-9 from the free throw line (33.3%). However, the Rockets were freed of that issue capitalizing on the trips to make about monumental 22-for-29 from the free throw line, shooting 75.9%.

The Rockets would have two 20-point scorers apiece in Tyler Cochran and Ra'heim Moss as they lead the way offensively for Toledo, causing struggles for EMU's defense all night long. 

After the game the Eagles fell to 9-14 overall and a 2-9 Mid-American Conference(MAC) record, while the Rockets improved to 15-8 overall and 9-2 in the MAC. 

The Eagles' next game will be at Louisana–Monroe on Saturday, Feb. 10, as part of the MAC-SBC Challenge. Tipoff for that game is scheduled for 3 p.m. ET.