element5-digital-ls8Kc0P9hAA-unsplash.jpg

Key dates for the Michigan Presidential Primary

On Feb. 27, Michigan is holding its presidential primary, and voting is now easier due to newly passed voter accessibility laws.

Voting options include prepaid envelopes for absentee ballots, 9 days of early voting, and an expanded list of acceptable photo IDs. Any registered voter can request a no-excuse absentee ballot, and the last day to do so is Friday, Feb. 23, by 5 p.m. by mail and online, and Monday, Feb. 26, by 4 p.m. in person. Voters can apply for an absentee ballot here

Starting with the 2024 presidential primary, voters will have at least nine days to vote in person before all statewide and federal elections. Check the Michigan Department of State website for more information on early-voting sites. Additionally, acceptable forms of photo ID include a state driver’s license or student ID. If you don’t have ID, you can complete paperwork at the polls before voting. 

Students can make sure they are prepared by following this checklist below:

1. Are you registered to vote? Check here.
  2. How do you want to vote? 
    1. Absentee: All registered voters can request a no-excuse absentee ballot by Monday, Feb. 12. Stamps are prepaid and a dropbox is located at the Student Center.
    2. Early: Michigan now requires at least nine days of early voting for statewide and federal elections in person by going to their local city or township clerk’s office and filling out an absentee ballot.
    3. Election Day: Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 27. Bring an acceptable form of photo ID, such as your driver’s license or U.S. passport. You can fill out additional paperwork at the polls if you forget your ID. 

Here are key dates to know for the upcoming primary: 

Monday, Feb. 12: Deadline to register to vote online or by mail and be eligible to vote in the presidential primary

Tuesday, Feb. 13: The window for in-person registration at a local clerk's office with proof of residency begins

Saturday, Feb. 17: Communities must begin allowing early voting

Absentee ballot deadlines: 

Friday, Feb. 23: Deadline to request an absentee ballot by mail 

Monday, Feb. 26: Deadline to request an absentee ballot in person 

Tuesday, Feb. 27: All ballots must be received or postmarked by midnight 

Michigan Primary Election date:

Tuesday, Feb. 27, is the Michigan presidential primary.

Where can I register to vote? 

Michigan residents can register to vote online or by mail by Feb. 12 for the presidential primary. Residents can also register to vote in person at their local clerk's office until 8 p.m. on Election Day

For additional questions, visit the Presidential Primary Q&A from the Michigan Department of State and the Michigan Voter Information Center (MVIC).