madame_web.jpeg

Review: 'Madame Web' leaves a lot to the imagination

"Madame Web" had potential to be a great film with its comic book origins, but fell flat in its execution.

Synopsis

Cassandra Webb is a New York paramedic who after a near death experience begins seeing into the future. She must dive into her past in order to protect three young girls who are being hunted by a mysterious man who can stick to walls.

Starring Dakota Johnson as Cassandra Webb, Sydney Sweeney as Julia Carpenter, Isabela Merced as Anya Corazon, and Celeste O'Connor as Mattie Franklin.

Highs

The cinematography throughout the film is spectacular using seamless transitions of psychic visions throughout the film and amazing imagery. In many shots of the film, we get beautiful spider web imagery that ranges from physical glistening webs to psychic visions of entangling webs. The imagery makes up for the overall lack of substance the film has. 

The music choices are on point throughout. The film being set in the early 2000s left open the door for classic hits and they didn't miss. The way music is used to not only set the mood of the scene, but also as a way to assist in Cassie Webb's visions is an amazing touch. From Britney Spears' "Toxic" throughout fight scenes, to other 2000s hits playing every time someone enters a vehicle, the film makes good use of music to assist in bolstering the film.

Lows

The plot is so flimsy that it makes the viewer fill in gaps with their imagination. Between our hero learning of their powers to mastering their powers is the most noticeable gap, but throughout the film it feels throughout most scenes that something is missing or that you're missing something. It doesn't help with the plot that most of the characters/actors feel not convincing in their roles/parts. Overall, the main material of the film lacks substance and interest.

The lack of superheroes in a traditional comic book movie is astonishing. In the beginning of the film, we get a glimpse of heroes in the future, but we never truly see them in their entirety. It would have been good to see more of the characters' superhero suits and personas instead of them in street clothes the entire time. This plays heavily into the lack of detail in the plot, causing you to imagine the actual superheroes throughout instead of seeing them. This whole movie is supposed to be a stand-alone, but it doesn't even have enough plot to keep itself afloat.

Verdict

This film is beautiful in its imagery and music, but lacks overall substance to make the film worth seeing.

I give "Madame Web" a 3 out of 10 rating.