Sabrina_Carpenter_Espresso

Review: 'Espresso’ is a straight shot of energy for the summer

Sabrina Carpenter released a summertime bop on April 12, just in time for her performance at the Coachella music festival. The song is a fun feminine anthem with a killer beat and quirky lyrics.

Background

This is Carpenter's first single since last March when she dropped the deluxe version of her album “emails i can’t send.”

The rising pop star began her career on Disney Channel and has been releasing her music since 2014. Her first album “Eyes Wide Open” was released in 2015. Carpenter has recently come into her own with her latest album's deluxe version, “emails i can’t send fwd:” giving her her first top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 with her single “Feather.”

Overview

The entire song feels like a jolt of energy. Carpenter plays with her vocal tone throughout the song, riffing some lyrics, and playing with sound with others. A lot of vowels together give different sounds, tickle your ear, and are lyrically interesting. The tone she has along with the lyrics makes an interesting song that is catchy and easily repeatable for concerts and singing in your car.

This song displays Carpenter's brand of humor with lyrics like “I know I Mountain Dew it for ya” and “Switch it up like Nintendo," while also adding ad-libs throughout the song, like “that's stupid” in the last chorus. This adds to the charm and keeps with Carpenter's brand. 

The production of the song is consistent throughout, giving straight summer energy. There is a synthesizer effect on the guitar that makes its cords stand out in its production. The electronic sounds throughout the song add to the bounciness of the beat that makes the production soar.

Verdict

This song is short in length and has a simple beat, but the lyrics are so catchy you can't help but keep it on loop.

I give “Espresso” a 9.5 out of 10.