EMU_Sign_Housing.JPG

Step into spring: 8 trails provide outdoor excursions close to the EMU campus

Looking for something to do outside, but close to the Eastern Michigan University campus, as the skies become sunny? Washtenaw County is home to a number of hiking trails. Traveling alongside riverways, through woodlands and parks, following boardwalks and crossing meadows, dozens of trails are maintained by the county, townships and local volunteers. Many more across southeast Michigan are reachable as a daytrip from Ypsilanti.

One of the hikes that can be enjoyed as a daytrip is the North Country Trail, one of 11 pathways in the U.S. designated as a National Scenic Trail. The U.S. park service awards National Scenic Trail designations to non-motorized paths that cross multiple states and cover a minimum of 100 miles. The North Country Trail, stretching 4,800 miles from Lake Sakakawea State Park on the Missouri River in North Dakota east to the Green Mountains of Vermont, is the longest National Scenic Trail and it winds across both the lower and upper peninsulas of Michigan. Among that trail's closest access points to Ypsilanti is a trailhead near Hillsdale, Michigan, a 90-minute drive from campus.

For those wanting an afternoon stroll closer to campus, these hikes provide some variety and easy access. Each also has an association or trail club whose members help with maintenance and educational outreach.

The Border to Border (B2B trail)

The B2B trail is a 35 mile, handicapped accessible path connecting various parts of Washtenaw County. There are six different trail corridors connecting cities and towns in Washtenaw County. The corridor through Ypsilanti is the longest at 11.67 miles. Other corridors are in Ann Arbor and Dexter, and all are connected.

One of the trail entrances in Ypsilanti is at Frog Island Park, which can be accessed at no cost. Other trailheads are in Loonfeather Point Park near Ford Lake off Grove Road, and North Hydro Park off Ridge Road near the east end of Ford Lake. Loon Feather and North Hydro, both in Ypsilanti Township, have entry fee requirements of $3 for a day pass.

The trail was created and is maintained through a combination of government and volunteer efforts, united through the nonprofit Friends of the B2B Trail. Those wishing to volunteer can find opportunities on the B2B Trail website or check the events listings on the Washtenaw County Parks and Recreation trail information pages

The Ypsilanti corridor of the trails is considered moderately challenging by the AllTrails route app, taking an average of three hours 29 minutes to complete. The path crosses several Ypsilanti parks and the campus of Eastern Michigan University. AllTrails community members rate it at a 4.3 out of 5.

The Border to Border (B2B trail)
A man walks his dog on the B2B trail in Washtenaw County, Michigan. (Courtesy of Grace Latz, Communications Coordinator of B2Btrail.org)

Cherry Hill Nature Preserve

Short on time, but want to get in some physical activity? The Cherry Hill Nature Preserve hike might be the answer. This 1.6 mile hike is considered an easy route and takes about half an hour to complete.

The path is mostly level with an elevation of about 78 feet throughout. So, if you’re not ready to commit to a big hike, check out Cherry Hill Nature Preserve.

The AllTrails app community rates the trail at 4.2 out of 5.

cherry hill nature preserve.jpg
The Cherry Hill Nature Preserve includes a number of wetlands areas. (Courtesy of Juan Bradford, Charter Township of Superior Parks & Recreation Director)

LeFurge Woods Trail

Do you have an hour of time to kill and want to enjoy the sun? Head over to LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve in Superior Township, north of campus, and hop onto the LeFurge Woods Trail. The preserve actually features three trails passing through meadows, woodlands and farmland. The main path is the 2.7 mile LeFurge Woods Trail which is considered easy and takes about an hour to complete. This trail would be good for beginners. 

The other trails crossing this preserve are the Superior Greenway Nature Trail (details below); and the LeFurge Woods to Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy Farm Trail, which is a 4 mile loop that passes by the conservancy's headquarters building and is known as a great birding trail. Be prepared for a muddy path if hiking during the rainy season.

The LeFurge Woods Trail received a 4.1 out of 5 ranking by the AllTrails community.

LeFurge.jpg
Rolling meadows and wooded hill lines greet walkers on the trail at the LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve in Superior Township, Michigan. (Courtesy of Juan Bradford, Charter Township of Superior Parks & Recreation Director)

North Bay Trail

The North Bay Trail is a perfect stop at 1.4 miles in length. This trail can be completed in less than 30 minutes and furry friends are allowed to join the fun if they are leashed. Access is through North Bay Park. Admission to the park is $3.

The trail includes boardwalks over Ford Lake and is considered a popular site for bird watchers. Ford Lake often features a family of swans.

The AllTrails community gives the trail a rating of 4.5 out of 5.

North Bay Park 16.jpg
A bridge spans part of Ford Lake along the trail at North Bay Park in Ypsilanti Township. (Courtesy of ypsireal.com)

Hewen's Creek Trails

Looking for a place to hike, but also a fishing spot? The trails in Ypsilanti Township's Hewen's Creek Park have that covered. With two trail options, the paths aren't just for hiking; many use the trails for mountain biking. The two options in the Hewen's trail network are the Yellow and Red Loop, about 3.9 miles that can take an average hour and 10 minutes to walk; and the Yellow and Orange Loop, about 3.2 miles and a 57 minute walk. The paths even include an extension that connects to Rolling Hills Park. 

On the south side of Ypsilanti Township and east of the Rolling Hills county park, Hewen's Creek Park covers 191 acres featuring a pond and creek, fishing, meadows, and wooded areas. Access the park and trails at 6515 Bemis Road. The trails have an average 4.4 rating from AllTrails community reviews.

Rolling Hills Trails

This 2.8 mile Rolling Hills Perimeter Loop is one of two trails at Rolling Hills County Park in Washtenaw County. It is not only dog friendly, but wheelchair and stroller accessible. The trail is open year-round and is considered an easy hike. Average walk is 52 minutes.

The path is paved and winding, so it is accessible for strollers, rollerblading bikes and walkers. In the winter, cross-country skiers are often found on the path. The AllTrails community gives it a rating of 4.3 out of 5.

The Rolling Hills Mountain Biking Trail is a 4.4 mile loop considered a moderate hike for trail walkers, taking about 90 minutes to complete. The path is popular among mountain bikers and runners, as well as walkers, and received a 4.3 rating from the AllTrails community.

RH Trail by Pond.jpg
A boardwalk over the waterway is one of the features found on the Rolling Hills Trail in Rolling Hills county park. (Courtesy of Kyle Jasper, Communications Specialist, Washtenaw County Parks & Recreation Commission)

Superior Greenway Nature Trail

The Superior Greenway Nature Trail begins in the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy's Jack R. Smiley Nature Preserve and brings hikers through both wet and dry land walkways. The trail is 1.75 miles long, considered an easy walk, and has an accessible scenic overlook area. Other features along the way include two streams, a landscape of active farmland and wetland restoration projects. 

The hike begins with the ADA accessible scenic overlook area at the Jack R. Smiley Nature Preserve. Parts of the trail pass through the Meyer and LeFurge Woods Nature preserves, also in Superior Township. The best times to visit are July through January. Dogs are welcome, but must be on a leash.

The AllTrails community gives the trail a rating of 3.9 on a scale of 5.

Kosch-Headwaters Preserve Loop

The Kosch-Headwater Preserve Loop is a 1.74-mile path through 160 acres of preserved natural areas near the intersection of Prospect and Ford roads in Superior Township.

Adjacent to the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy's Springhill Nature Preserve, the Kosch-Headwaters Preserve includes a spring along with wetlands and streams and is home to many mature beech trees. Half of the land is farmed and cultivated. 

Operated by the Washtenaw County Parks & Recreation Commission the preserve was purchased through the county's Natural Areas Preservation Program. The preserve also has opportunities to support wildlife conservation. The trail gets a rating of 3.8 out of 5 from the AllTrails community. 

kosch.jpg
The trail stretching through the Kosch-Headwater Preserve is just short of two miles long. (Courtesy of Juan Bradford, Charter Township of Superior Parks & Recreation Director)

Maps and more trail information can be found on the Washtenaw County Parks & Recreation web pages and on the websites for both Superior and Ypsilanti townships. The B2B Trail website has detailed maps on that trail systems. Interested hikers can also download the AllTrails or other hiking apps. Others include: Gaia GPS, Google Maps, Hiking ProjectNational Park Service, and Recreation.gov.

Now that there are some local options, happy hiking!