Democratic gubernatorial candidate, Virg Bernero, visted campus Monday. The meeting included his take on higher education, the economy and environment.

Bernero brings platform to Eastern Michigan University

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Virg Bernero stressed his main goal, if elected, will be getting people back to work in Michigan when he visited Eastern Michigan University on Monday as part of his campaign.

“I’m going to be fighting for working people,” Bernero said. “With your help, we’re going to make growing Michigan the number one priority. We’re going to lay out the red carpet instead of the red tape for business.”

The town hall meeting discussed higher education and Bernero’s platform on issues ranging from the economy to the environment. It was entitled “Education: Invest Now or Pay Later – The Pathway to Economic Stability.”

The discussion also included Congressman John Dingell and EMU Student Body President Antonio Cosme, with opening and closing prayers offered by ministers Phillip L. Ferrel and Theron Kersey.

Bernero, who has served as mayor of the city of Lansing since 2005, cited his experience in government as a reason why voters should elect him over his opponent, Republican candidate Rick Snyder.

“Much has been made of my opponent being an ‘outsider,’ but at a time like this we don’t have time for on-the-job training,” Bernero said.

During the question-and-answer portion of the meeting, Bernero, whose wife is an elementary school principal, discussed his views on education with audience members who ranged from freshmen students to senior citizens.

Bernero explained that many of his views on education have been shaped due to his wife’s extensive involvement throughout her career in public education.

“I’m going to make education a priority in office because I believe that every child in Michigan deserves a top-of-the-line public education, not simply based on what neighborhood they come from” Bernero said.

Along with education, an issue that many of the students who asked questions during the town hall meeting brought up was the environment.

Bernero informed the audience of his record as a mayor who emphasizes environmental issues. During his term, Lansing became the first Michigan city to sign on to the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star Challenge, a national call to action to improve the energy efficiency of America’s commercial industrial buildings by 10 percent or more.

When asked about protecting the Great Lakes, Bernero said, “I’m proud to be one of the greenest mayors in the state. We have an incredible opportunity to choose whether we’re going to go down the same old road or we’re going to create a cleaner, greener future for Michigan”.

Bernero also discussed the issue of public transportation with the audience.

“We don’t have enough public transportation in Michigan,” he said. “I think an Ann Arbor to Detroit train would be outstanding, but my main focus is on effective regional bus systems.”

One student audience member asked about how Bernero planned to make finding a job easier for students graduating from college. Bernero responded by presenting some of the specific ideas he has proposed to implement if elected.

“Lack of credit is the number one problem facing Michigan’s economy,” Benero said. “My first step is to address the credit crunch. The state currently has $1 billion in an account with JP Morgan-Chase. The day after I’m sworn in I’m going to put it here in Michigan so we can partner with local Michigan lenders, not compete with them.”

Bernero emphasized the point that he intends to be a governor on the side of small business and workers here in Michigan.

“I believe in investing in the grassroots,” he said. “Let’s make sure that what we’re producing is growing in Michigan and not in China.”
The Michigan gubernatorial election will be held Tuesday, Nov. 2.