Women defeat UofM, James sets EMU record

Senior Tavelyn James is now the all-time scoring leader for the women’s basketball program at Eastern Michigan University. She led her team in scoring Sunday as the Eagles beat Michigan 77-64.

Michigan Coach Kevin Borseth said, “She single handedly beat us. She made a statement when she beat us today.”

Borseth said that she made shot, after shot, after shot and she made it again.

“When you take Tavelyn James out of the team,” Borseth said. “This is a completely different game.”

James scored 38 points on 10-for-21 from the field and went 5-for-13 from beyond the three-point line. She was also 13-for-14 from the free throw line and had four rebounds.

James said, “It means a lot to accomplish something like this.”

“It’s an accomplishment for me and my team,” James said. “I felt better about this game. I knew I had to play well at this game.”

The senior Eagle was congratulated in front of all who attended the record-breaking night with 13:57 remaining in the first-half. The game was in timeout and all tied up at 11-11.

Borseth said she can light you up for 50 when her game is going right.

James was all over the court offensively, scoring at will. She did have help from the younger talent on the team in sophomores Olivia Fouty, Desyree Thomas and Natachia Watkins.

Fouty had 19 points, went 8-for-11 from the field, 1-for-3 from beyond the three-point line and 2-for-2 from the free throw line. She also had 12 rebounds.

“She did a tremendous job,” Coach AnnMarie Gilbert said. “She is very capable; we are just pleased at our overall effort from our team.”

James finished the first half with 21 points. EMU outscored the Wolverines in the first half, 35-28. EMU outrebounded the Wolverines 37 to 26.

The Eagles will look to improve their 6-3 start at 7 p.m. Dec. 19 against University Detroit Mercy in Detroit.