Mahler.jpeg

Homestead High senior Taeley Mahler commits to Eastern Michigan ahead of volleyball season

Homestead High School's volleyball standout Taeley Mahler solidified her collegiate aspirations by officially signing with Eastern Michigan University on December 4, 2023.

The signing ceremony was important for Mahler, who expressed immense joy at realizing a lifelong dream.

"It's really awesome," Mahler shared during an interview following the signing. "I've always been dreaming of playing at the Division I level, ever since I was 13. I took volleyball very seriously. So it's just been a dream come true." 

Mahler's decision to choose EMU was a carefully considered one, reflecting both her academic and athletic ambitions. Central to her choice was EMU's special education program, a field Mahler is passionate about pursuing. She also highlighted the team culture at EMU, describing it as similar to a family, a factor that resonated deeply with her. The university's proximity to her home and its moderate size further contributed to her decision-making process.

"[EMU] has a very good special education program and that's what I want to major in, as well as an amazing team culture and just like a family like feeling, which is really what I wanted," Mahler said in her interview. 

Regarding her volleyball aspirations, Mahler sees herself fitting in as an all-around player, contributing in all six rotations on the court. She acknowledges the need to hone her passing skills further and emphasizes her desire to grow as both a teammate and an individual.

Reflecting on her time at Homestead, Mahler expressed gratitude for the growth and development she experienced as both a player and a person. Mahler's impact on the team was significant, as she helped lead Homestead to a 26-10 overall record as a senior this past fall. She demonstrated her strength on the court by tallying 195 kills, ranking second on the team, and leading the Spartans with 46 blocks.

Looking ahead to her collegiate career, Mahler sets ambitious goals for herself. She aims to make a mark as a freshman, athletically and academically, while studying special education. Her aspirations include excelling in her academics, contributing to tournament victories, and ultimately competing in the NCAA.

With her commitment to EMU, Mahler eagerly anticipates joining the competitive arena of the Mid-American Conference. She is excited about the challenge of facing formidable opponents and is eager to contribute to EMU's volleyball legacy.

Mahler's signing with Eastern Michigan University marks the beginning of an exciting chapter in her life; one that combines her love for volleyball with her dedication to making a difference in the field of special education. As she embarks on this new journey, Mahler's commitment and determination are sure to make a significant impact both on and off the volleyball court.

The EMU Eagles will kick off their preseason with an exhibition game against Hillsdale College on August 19 at the George Gervin GameAbove Center in Ypsilanti, Michigan. This match will offer Mahler and her teammates an early opportunity to showcase their skills as they prepare for the upcoming season.