2 EMU students assaulted off-campus over weekend

Two Eastern Michigan University students were injured in separate off-campus assaults over the weekend.

The first incident took place in the parking lot of Peninsular Place Apartments a little after 2 a.m. Saturday morning, according to a timely warning issued by the university.

The victim, an EMU student whom sources tell the Echo is a student-athlete, was walking in the parking lot with a friend when an older, silver colored van reportedly clipped the leg of the victim. The student and his friend exchanged words with the people inside the van. The victim’s friend ran from the scene.

The release stated the occupants – five or six African-American males, exited the van and assaulted the victim. After the assault, the attackers got back in the van and drove off in an unknown direction.

The second assault took place at around 2:15 a.m. Sunday morning in the parking lot behind Abe’s Coney Island on Michigan Ave. across the street from the College of Business.

The victim in this case is also an EMU student.

The victim stated that a man approached him and asked a question, according to the timely warning. The man then punched the victim. Four or five men then exited the van, which was described as silver or gray in color, and assaulted the victim, according to the timely warning. The subjects reentered the van and left the area in an unknown direction. The victim said that his wallet and cellular phone were taken during the assault.

In both cases, the victims were treated at a nearby hospital for their injuries.

The Ypsilanti Police Department is investigating both cases and any possible connections between the two.

Anyone with information related to either event is asked to contact the Ypsilanti Police Department at 734-483-9510.

The Department of Public Safety would like to remind the University Community to:

• Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.

• Walk with friends or coworkers when possible.

• Program the number for EMU Police (734-487-1222) into your cell phone.

• Check the EMU Public Safety website for additional safety tips:

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho