EMU student threatened Wednesday afternoon

Felonious assault took place at the corner of Emmet and Normal streets

An Eastern Michigan University student was threatened with a gun Wednesday afternoon on the corner of Emmet and Normal streets, in the area just south of campus. No one was injured during the incident.

According to a timely warning released by the EMU Police Department on Wednesday evening, the student was walking down Normal Street when the crime occurred. Three men drove by, rolled the windows down and made fun of the student’s pants. After an exchange of words, the passenger in the back seat of vehicle pulled a handgun on the student.

The student described the three men as African-American males in their early 20s. The man in the front passenger seat was wearing a blue and yellow striped jacket and the man with the handgun was wearing dark clothing, according to the student’s descriptions.

The men were driving a black sedan with heavy damage to the front end and a missing rear bumper.

Ypsilanti police are currently investigating the felonious assault. Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the Ypsilanti Police Department at 734-483-9510.

The Department of Public Safety would like to remind the university community to:

• Be aware of your surroundings and look assertive.

• Walk with friends or coworkers when possible. Contact SEEUS for nighttime escorts. 734-487-3387

• Trust your intuition, if a particular situation makes you feel uncomfortable, choose an alternative.

• If you feel threatened on campus, look for a blue light phone to call for assistance.

• Program the number for EMU Police (734-487-1222) into your cell phone.

• Check the EMU Public Safety website for additional safety tips.