Men’s golf finishes 2nd at MAC Match Play

The Eastern Michigan University men’s golf team arrived at Dade City, Fla. over the weekend to compete in the Mid-American Conference Match Play.

The Eagles finished in second place, putting some of college’s best golfers around the country to the test. Ball State University pulled away in the Championship Match to win the tournament.
The tournament was made up of three rounds— two rounds of match play, with a final round to determine the winner of the tournament.

First Round Scoring – Eastern Michigan University vs. Ohio University

Eagles 4, Bobcats 2

EMU’s Brian Churchill-Smith put up a strong effort and halved with Peyton White from Ohio.

EMU’s Michael Blair came up strong and defeated Andrew Mlynarski of Ohio 2 up.

EMU’s Brett White rocked Phil Gieseker of Ohio with a score of 3 up.

Ohio’s Ty Herriott gave his team some hope, defeating EMU’s Josh Heinze with a score of 2 up.

EMU’s Kyle Rhodes halved with Brad Lucas of Ohio.

EMU’s Joseph Kremer finished off Ohio with a pounding of 3 up over Brad Burgess.

After a great first round, EMU looked to continue its success in round two, where they were matched up Eastern Kentucky University.

Second Round Scoring – Eastern Michigan vs. Eastern Kentucky University

Eagles 4.5, Colonels 1.5
EMU’s Churchill-Smith, after having tied his opponent in the first round, fought hard against EKU’s Garrett Hinton and came away with a victory, winning 1 up.

EMU’s Blair won again, edging his EKU opponent, Stuart Witt 1 up.

EMU’s White came out on top again, destroying EKU’s Taylor Riggs, with a score of 3 up.

Heinze, being the only EMU golfer to lose in the first round, fought hard and halved with EKU’s Patric Sundlof.

EMU’s Rhodes, who halved in the first round, calmed himself down and presented a great 3 up defeat over EKU’s Travis Rose.

EKU’s Danial Deluca became the Colonels only victor of the second round, defeating Kremer 1 up.

After two solid rounds of match play, the Eagles headed into the third round with their heads held high to compete for the title against Ball State University.

Championship Round – Ball State University vs. Eastern Michigan University

Cardinals 4, Eagles 2

EMU’s Churchill-Smith finished the tournament strong, defeating BSU’s Keegan McKinney 4 up.

BSU’s McCormick Clouser defeated EMU’s Blair 2 up.

BSU’s Tyler Merkel defeated EMU’s White 3 up.

BSU’s James Blackwell handed EMU’s Heinze his second loss of the tournament, defeating him 6 up.

BSU’s Zach Yinger defeated EMU’s Rhodes 4 up.

EMU’s Kremer, after losing in the second round to EKU’s Deluca, edged BSU’s Albert Jennings 2 up.
In the final round, the Eagles were making good shots, but the Cardinals were too strong and in the end came away with the tournament title.

The Eagles head back to Dade City, Fla., where they will compete at the USF Invitational.