News Briefs

Book Drive—

March is National Reading Month, and America Reads is joining with Eastern Michigan University’s VISION group to host a children’s book drive. The drive will be held between now and March 31.
Anyone seeking to donate to the drive can look for drop-off boxes in Porter, Halle and in the VISION Volunteer Center.

The books that are being sought are for ages 5 to 18 years old. The donations will go to the nonprofit organization 826Michigan.

For more information about the drive, contact Kelli Dowd at For more details about 826Michigan, visit

Human Trafficking—

There will be a workshop about human trafficking hosted by Eastern Michigan University’s Women’s and Gender Studies Department on Thursday, March 27 from 6-7 p.m. in room 219 of Pray-Harrold.

The workshop presentation is titled “Human Trafficking: Seeking Justice for Women and Girls.”

For more information, contact David Manville at, or call 734-487-0393.

Collegiate Job Fair—

The Michigan Collegiate Job Fair will be held on Friday, March 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will be held at the Burton Manor in Livonia.

The job fair is for those who are graduating and preparing for a career after graduation.

The event is sponsored by Eastern Michigan University’s Advising & Career Development Center.

For those interested in the event, go to to register. The website will also show potential employers. The charge is $10 via online pre-registration or $15 at the door.