Eastern Michigan Sarah Chauchard on 2 February at Bowen Field House.

Chauchard finishes 5th in heptathalon

Eastern Michigan University’s women’s track and field team had senior Sarah Chauchard represent them in the heptathlon, at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field Championships on June 13.

Chauchard completed her seven-event slate with a fifth-place finish at the meet.

The senior finished with a total of 5,638 points, which was a personal record for her and is the second-highest score in EMU history behind Lela V. Nelson’s historic 5,878-point effort in 2005.

This year Kendall Williams of Georgia became the NCAA champion.

Chauchard competed in three events on the day, setting a personal record in two of them, while finishing extremely close in the opening long jump. The France native jumped 5.71 meters/18 feet 8.75-inches, which was just a centimeter off her personal-best mark, to tie for second in the competition.

Chauchard then added on nearly four meters to her javelin throw and finished in eighth place with a throw of 40.77 meters/133 feet 9-inches. Her throw also goes down as the sixth-farthest throw by an Eagle in program history.

Chauchard set another personal record in the 800m run which helped her grab a top-eight finish, when she finished with a time of 2:15.25.

In her only year at EMU, Chauchard’s fifth-place performance gives her First Team All-American honors for the second time in her short career as an Eagle, as she garnered first team honors for a sixth-place finish in the indoor pentathlon.