Reggie Bell named starting QB vs. Morgan State

Eastern Michigan University football coach Chris Creighton took part in his first Mid-American Conference teleconference Monday morning and wasted no time naming redshirt freshman quarterback Reggie Bell the starter for the Aug. 30 regular season opener against Morgan State University.

“We go through a strenuous process to find out who that leader is for game one and who’s going to lead our team and represent us as being a starter and we’ve chosen Reggie Bell,” Creighton said. “So he’s going to be leading us out there versus Morgan State.”

Bell was recruited by former coach Ron English and redshirted for the 2013 season. The Los Angeles, Calif. native is known for being a dual-threat quarterback. According to 247sports.com, Bell passed for 1,365 yards, 16 touchdowns and 4 interceptions while running for 387 yards and 5 scores in 2011 at Susan Miller Dorsey High School.

“He also just gives us a chance when a play may not go perfectly for us he’s got the ability with his feet to make things happen and to keep plays alive,” Creighton said. “His improvement has just been fantastic from the spring until now.”

Creighton also implied that sophomore Brogan Roback and redshirt senior Rob Bolden would see playing time this year.

“It’s a long season and we have three quality, quality quarterbacks and I’m excited to see them all get to compete,” he said.

Kickoff for the Morgan State game is scheduled for 6 p.m.

Social Media:

Follow Al Willman on Twitter: @AlWillmanEcho

Editor-in-Chief Nora Naughton also contributed to this story.