Letter to The Eastern Echo: Response to 'Crass Rant'

I am responding to the “Crass rant” in the comics section of the Echo. The author claims that there are too many babies. This overpopulation myth has caused human rights abuses around the world, forced population control, denied medicines to the poor, and targeted attacks on ethnic minorities and women. Here is a website that can educate and inform: overpopulationisamyth.com

The author selfishly rants that she will be doing whatever she wants while parents will be “throwing their lives away.” Parenthood is rewarding and as the mother of a son, I would not trade this role for anything. I am also the daughter of Mary J. Ellis, mother of nine who would have celebrated her 80th birthday on April 2, 2015 but died on Jan. 28, 2015. She was selfless in raising her children and was proud of her 28 grandchildren and five great grandchildren. She was devoted to her family and left a legacy of love and caring in 60 years of marriage with my father, Jon F. Ellis.

Parents are not throwing their lives away! Look around campus and you will see students, faculty and staff who have children and are pursuing goals and success in their chosen field. My son was one year old when I began teaching at EMU; he is almost 19 and my EMU colleagues and I can testify that parents with children can have productive and rewarding careers. As faculty advisor to Students for Life (SFL), I support SFL goals to promote respect for life at Eastern Michigan University and in the surrounding community, to educate on life issues, to help those in need so that life is a promising choice, and to work with others who share common goals. In doing so, I honor the memory of my dear mother.

Alice Jo Rainville, PhD

Professor, School of Health Sciences

Faculty Advisor to Students for Life