Love your curls

Dove released another campaign for beauty video called “Love your Curls.” The video begins with girls from ages five to eight years old talking about how they hate their naturally curly hair.

The girls said they wanted to straighten their hair because, in their words, “it’s more smooth that way.” The video ends with the girls coming together with their mothers who encourage them to embrace their natural curls.

“The video breaks my heart because it shows how beauty standards of any type can and does affect girls self esteem of such a young age,” Elissa Davis, human resources major, said. “Everyone needs to know and acknowledge that there is no one type of beautiful girl.”

If Dove’s new mission is to make the new generation of women develop a positive relationship with the way they look, then shouldn’t Dove have started campaigning for women to love their natural curls a long time ago?

The beauty and skin giant started their self-esteem project back in 2004.

Women going natural and embracing their natural hair texture has been a popular trend for the last five years. Dove chose the right time and product line to start their “Love your Curls” campaign.

Seeing as how most of Dove’s commercials are in line with their new or upcoming products skin or beauty products, it is refreshing to see commercials about natural hair.

The commercial was uplifting and showed that women of different races have curly textured hair. For some women on campus the video was enlightening.

“I love this commercial. I think it captures something that isn’t talked about a lot. When I was younger one of my deepest insecurities was my hair,” Taylor Stewart, graphic design major, said. I was tired of not feeling beautiful and crying after a perm wouldn’t take the way I wanted to. I think this commercial doesn’t dive into how race becomes an important factor in beauty and confidence, but it’s a step in the right direction.”

A former student and retail associate Christina Brown said going natural is helping her find out who she is.

“My initial thoughts were how sad it was that these girls don’t absolutely love their hair,” Brown said. “I thought maybe they were teased for not having straight hair. I thought how we have to be careful how we make everyone feel because ideas and opinions about self-image are formed at such an early age. As the adults began to show how much they love their hair the video took a turn for me. It felt empowering. I loved the video.”

Accepting yourself naturally is the most beautiful thing in the world. Part of that acceptance is appreciating the beauty that you were born with. To know more about Dove’s beauty campaign, visit youtube.com/user/doveunitedstates