BLUE Exhibit displays awareness for mental illness amongst college students

Eastern Michigan University’s Intermedia Gallery Group is hosting the BLUE Exhibition Oct. 5-16 in the Student Center Gallery.

The gallery is free to the public and is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

The BLUE Exhibit contains a group of photographs taken by EMU senior, Christian Ramsey, that focus on the stresses of, and transition into, college life and adulthood. The photographs are of students in their place of sleep, right before bed.

“I chose not to use frames – I wanted to develop a closeness with the viewers, not a cold, distant gallery,” Ramsey said. “Each of the photographs in this series portray the last moment of the day when so many thoughts fill your mind.”

Along with the photos is a set up of a bedroom where there are clothes on the floor, a knitting project next to the mattress, a TV and more.

“My first thought when putting together this show was comfort,” said Ramsey. “I wanted to transform the space into their own bedroom, peppered with worn clothes and random objects.”

Realizing that she is not the only college student burdened by the stress of balancing school, work and mental illness, Ramsey created this exhibit as “a coping method and a call for awareness about the mental health of college students.”

There will be a reception on Oct. 14 from 6-8 p.m. in the gallery.