Football Notebook: Losing skid, Bell injury and Miami (OH)

Following a Thursday night loss to the Western Michigan University Broncos, the Eastern Michigan University Eagles look to regroup as they travel to Oxford, OH., to take on the Redhawks of Miami University.

Seven Straight Losses:

The Eagles are currently on a seven game losing skid but coach Chris Creighton says the team remains positive.

“We know what we’re looking at, we know what we’re trying to improve in and we can see the tangible improvements,” said Creighton. “Everybody wants to win. Nobody wants to win more than we do but talking about winning is not the solution.”

“Figuring out the areas in which you need to improve and the areas that are vital to winning. Focusing on those will enable you winning in the end,” said Creighton. “There's a toll that it takes with disappointment but that has definitely not overcome this football team.”

How injured is Bell:

Eagle quarterback Reggie Bell’s injury ridden season seemed to continue as he only saw the field for one snap against Western Michigan where he ran for 11 yards and limped off the field.

“He gets better day by day but it’s not something he’s healed from,” said Creighton.

When asked if there were thoughts of sitting Bell for final three games of the season, Creighton responded, “That’s not the nature of the injury.”

Facing a similar Miami (OH):

Miami University has dealt with it’s fair share of losing but are in a similar predicament as Eastern Michigan is. The Redhawks are 1-8, just like the Eagles. The Redhawks have a second year head coach, Chuck Martin, just like the Eagles.

“Both programs are different but you can tell he’s done a really good job recruiting and playing a lot of these guys early,” Creighton said about Miami. “A young group withstands some of the losses probably better than a veteran group. Both of our mindsets are we want to be at our best but we don’t want to cut any corners to get there.”

The Eagles kickoff Saturday at 2:30 p.m. in Oxford, OH.

Social Media:

Follow Andrew Mascharka on Twitter: @MascharkaPhoto