DiCaprio shines in new film, The Revenant

My significant other and I made our way over to the Rave Cinema on Carpenter Road, Jan. 7, at 8 p.m., to check out Leonardo DiCaprio’s latest movie, The Revenant, directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu.

What I found was so unexpected, different and refreshing; I left the movie theatre with a feeling of intense excitement and awe.

In this startlingly accurate depiction of an 1823 expedition to find uncharted lands in America, DiCaprio portrays a legendary frontiersman named Hugh Glass. Glass is attacked by a bear and is left to die alone by the rest of his hunting party.

Weak and scarred from the attack, and eager to get his revenge, Glass makes his way back home, all the while venturing through extreme winter temperatures.

Senior and EMU sports marketing major, Scott Fleming, said, “The movie was so good I’ve went back twice to see it. It’s a movie I could see over and over again and never get tired of.”

Steven Whitty with the New York Daily News agrees. “It starts with a brutal attack by a bear-and gets even better!”

This movie was the most realistic depiction of history I have ever seen, and I can confidently state that, although I am more of a fan of independent movies myself. The cinematography was simply breathtaking. Sitting in the front part of the movie theatre made it feel like I was sitting with Glass as he trekked through snowy terrains and fought to survive.

If the intense imagery hasn’t convinced you to go see it, remember Leonardo DiCaprio’s devilishly handsome looks. Overall, I give it a ten out of ten.