A table for one of the org's at Winter Fest

Winter Fest, Fair for Student Organizations

Winter Fest is an annual event thrown by Eastern Michigan’s Organization, Campus Life, to showcase the vast majority of 200+ Student Orgs. The purpose of this event is to expose students to organizations and allow them to interact. The missions of these organizations vary from philanthropic duties, arts expression, and even social clubs. 

The Echo spoke with several of the organizations, including a range from non-profit orgs, dance groups, fraternities and sororities, as well as career based orgs and minority community dedicated orgs. 

“We are an accounting club and we focus on financial information professions. We love preparing our members for their future careers. We are also open to future Collaborations and new members,” said President Victoria Sponyoe of the Accounting Club. 

Another org at the event was the Black Honors Student Organization. The BHSO gives Black students a voice and provides career and personal development. The organization strives to improve both the recruitment efforts and retention rates of black honors students.

The EMU Emeralds spoke with The Echo. “We are Eastern’s only minority based majorette team. We offer a new culture of dance that most don’t. We are open to everyone, every race and every gender. No experience is required, we are open to teaching,” said member, Loren M.

The LATINX Student Org is very active on campus and they were at the event. The LSA seeks "to cultivate, enrich, and empower all Latino Cultures through educational and social academic programs to benefit EMU," stated on their Instagram account at emu_lsa. Their annual events include Latin Night and Quinceanera.

The Echo also spoke with some fraternities and sororities including Kappa Alpha Psi Frat, Alpha Phi Alpha Frat, and Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, below. 

The Delta Nu chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi has made a commitment to participate in Philanthropic initiatives, locally and nationally. Their annual events include Week of Romance, Akt Like a Nupe, and more.

The Epsilon Eta chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha featured a Winter Fest table with countless awards, including ‘Chapter of Excellence’ and ‘Michigan District Award of Appreciation.’ Their annual events include: Alpha Apollo, Miss Black and Gold Pageant and many political initiatives.

The Sigma Lambda Gamma (SLG) sorority organization was founded with the intent to create a sorority for women of all cultural backgrounds. SLG has contributed to the diversity and inclusion aspect of Eastern’s campus life. 

There were also many activities to choose from such as Custom Street signs, Wax hands, and creating your own bumper stickers. Winter Fest was fundamental in promoting student unity, Diversity and Inclusion, and Campus involvement. It gave many leaders of these organizations space to showcase themselves to the campus community.