Fill Your Plate

Pantry provides: Swoop’s has safety for some with food insecurity

Swoop’s Pantry is a “word of mouth” type of place. Nestled in the bottom floor of Pierce Hall is the non-profit food pantry. A few EMU students could be around but it is limited to just that. Swoop’s is not as busy as an Eagle Café like those at

Swoop’s Pantry is a “word of mouth” type of place. Nestled in the bottom floor of Pierce Hall is the non-profit food pantry. A few EMU students could be around but it is limited to just that. Swoop’s is not as busy as an Eagle Café like those at Pray-Harrold and the College of Business. This location on campus is quiet but has shelves full of valuables at no cost to you.

Once you open the doors to the building, there are short hallways that show water pipes and electrical wiring on the ceiling. Ahead are a couple of signs that show direction to where the pantry is. From behind a corner, a student walked around to a recycling bin where she finished cutting open an empty “Jiffy” Mix cardboard box. A short turn to the right is where you can enter and start browsing their items for you to take home.

At the entrance to the actual pantry, there are a few boxes to drop off donations. To the left, is a cutout display of Swoop the mascot, with a printed sign reading ‘We’ve been swooped! Will you help us fill the pantry?’ On the door, a glass panel is blurred, which is for privacy of the shoppers inside that may want security from being labeled. Since it is rarely busy, shoppers go in at separate times on a regular basis.

Inside are several grate shelving units, three refrigerators, and a fresh produce stand. Orange labels on the shelves give descriptions and limits that the pantry would like on certain items. Throughout the room are signs and posters that have upcoming events and tips like bringing reusable bags.

Swoop’s is a resource for Eastern Michigan University students to have when they have trouble making it to a grocery store or may be tight on money. For twice a month, you can go and pick up a variety of items from a can of corn to a new stick of deodorant. In the Swoop’s Pantry Lounge is a rack of clothes for warmth in the cold temperatures of winter. They have a few bins with socks and blankets sitting just under that.

In the lounge was senior Karina Haas, who had just stopped by to get a few items. She had frozen meals, pasta sauce, uncooked noodles, as well as a box of cereal.

“This is all at least 30 dollars, which my last pay period I did not have 30 dollars to get food,” Haas said.

She talked about her financial condition of herself and the people she knows, stressing the importance of a food pantry like Swoop’s. “It is so helpful to people that really need it,” Haas said.