EMU Basketball Fights Off Akron

Cassandra Callaway picks up the recruiting coordinator role for EMU women’s basketball

Callaway is now the assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the Eagles.

Eastern Michigan University’s women’s basketball assistant coach Cassandra Callaway has been promoted to recruiting coordinator, per EMU Athletics. Callaway will be going into her fourth season as an assistant coach alongside Fred Castro.

Starting the 2019-20 season, she will have the duties of an assistant coach as well as the recruiting coordinator.

Callaway played a major role in recruiting for the program since her arrival in 2016. She has also helped with the development of numerous players in the program. Her hand in development helped former EMU guard Danielle Minott be named to All-MAC honors. Sophomore guard Courtnie Lewis was also named to All-MAC honors with the help of Callaway. Minott was named to All-MAC third team after breaking the single game scoring record for the program.

After having one of the best freshman seasons in EMU history, Lewis was named to All-MAC third team and All-MAC freshman honors. Lewis finished her freshman season in 2017 at second in the record books for most points scored in a season by a freshman at EMU.

Corrione Cardwell also had the luxury of working with Callaway. Cardwell saw improvement in scoring and rebound averages last season. She averaged 13 points and 4.2 rebounds after starting in all 31 games. This past season, freshman guard Jenna Annecchiarico dished out 100 assists, becoming second on the list for assists in a single season by an EMU freshman. She was the first freshman to lead the MAC in assist-to-turnover ratio.

Lastly, Callaway also worked with former EMU guard Sasha Dailey. Dailey finished her career with the Eagles being ranked second in games played and tied for fifth in steals. Callaway has shown that she has what it takes to help the EMU women’s basketball program grow each year. The Eagles will look to continue to recruit highly-talented players under Callaway’s supervision.