Eastern Echo Podcast: Jan. 6, 2020

Ronia-Isabel Cabansag: Welcome back to campus! This is Ronia sitting in for Liz today. On today’s episode we’re bringing you updates on both basketball teams, news about a celebration for new EMU staff and faculty, as well as dates and times for this month’s Wellness Woof. I'm your host Ronia-Isabel Cabansag, and you’re listening to the Eastern Echo Podcast.

On Wednesday, the LGBT Resource Center is having a welcome back reception from 2 p.m. - 4 p.m. in room 270 of the Student Center. Attendees will help figure out the theme for this year’s Pride Prom. This event is free and open to the public, but is not LBC approved. For more information you can contact Amy Finkenbine at 734-487-4149 or you can email lgbtrc@emich.edu

This month’s edition of Wellness Woof will take place from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at McKenney Hall in room 348. This is a free event that brings therapy dogs on campus to help relieve student stress. For more information, visit EMU’s Facebook page, or contact Nick Pomante at npomante@emich.edu.

On January 9th Unity Vibration Triple Goddess Tasting Room on Ecorse Rd is holding an open mic session from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. This community event is free and open to the public.

EMU is welcoming new staff and faculty this semester on January 10th. The reception will be held in Strong Hall’s atrium from 12:15 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. This event is free but not LBC approved. Faculty, staff, and lecturers are encouraged to attend.

If you are a Disney fan then you don’t want to miss Disney Trivia Night at Bobcat’s Bonnie on Michigan Ave. That’s happening this Sunday from 7:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. For this event, you must have a team of up to five players. Tickets are $25 per player. Teams will be competing for a grand prize of $100. For more information, you can find their Facebook event linked on our website. 

In sports news, EMU quarterback Mike Glass has issued an apology after being ejected from the Quick Lane Bowl game, which EMU lost 34-30. After throwing two punches, Glass received two unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Following the game, Eastern Michigan head coach Chris Creighton stated "He is a phenomenal kid. I love him 100%. Absolutely zero excuse for what happened. He's in tears in the locker room. He made a mistake and he is truly sorry for it. I'm embarrassed but I love him 100%. That's not who we are."

On December 27th Glass tweeted the following statement: “It was an emotional moment near the end of the Quick Lane Bowl and I deeply regret it. This is something I have never done before and I can’t take it back.The only thing I can do is learn from this situation. This was not the way I was raised and I apologize for the way I behaved out there.”

In basketball, our men’s team played Akron on Jan. 4th and lost 69-45. The women’s basketball team beat Bowling Green on the same day, with a final score of 78-61.

That’s all we have for you today. Our team is wishing you a great first day back! Be sure to subscribe to get notified about next Monday’s news briefing. Also stay tuned for the rest of our Michigan Murders series, which we’ll be wrapping up throughout this month! If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, we would love to hear from you at podcast@easternecho.com. From the Echo Podcast team, have a great week! This is Ronia-Isabel Cabansag, signing off.

The Eastern Echo Podcast is made possible by reporter Jasmine Boyd, producer Rylee Barnsdale, and editor Ronia-Isabel Cabansag.