The Eastern Echo Podcast Logo Fall 2019

Podcast: March 30, 2020

Liz Hornyak: In news this week, 2 EMU students and 1 faculty member have tested positive for COVID-19. I’m your host Liz Hornyak and this is the Eastern Echo Podcast.

In the past week, 2 EMU students and 1 faculty member have tested positive for COVID-19. The first student reportedly lived off-campus, had not attended classes since March 5, and did not attend the study abroad trip to Italy. According to the Washtenaw County Health Department, the student didn’t have the disease at any point while they were on campus, and would not have been at risk of exposing others until March 19. 

The second student lived on campus until March 12 and didn’t show any symptoms at the time. The Health Department states that there is no concern of exposure because of the length of time between when the student left campus and when the student started showing symptoms. This student is currently being cared for at home.

The instructor’s last day on campus was March 16. They began to develop symptoms on the 19th. The health department is currently tracking the instructor’s close contacts. Due to federal privacy laws, none of these individuals have been identified.

On Tuesday, March 24, students should have received an email announcing that the deadline for students to request a “pass or no pass” grading option has been extended until April 20. Students can opt for this grading method for each of their courses individually. If a student chooses the “pass or no pass” grading option in a given course, a grade of D- or higher will result in an “S” on their transcript. A failing grade will result in a “U.” The Honors College will continue to grant honors credit for classes where this grading option is applied. To apply for this option, students must fill out the application offered through the Office of Records and Registration. There are separate forms for undergraduate and graduate students. You can find the link to both forms on our website.

EMU student government elections have been postponed until September. Candidates who submitted a petition will automatically appear on the ballot in the fall. We’ll update you with the exact date of the election as it is announced. 

That’s all the news we have for you today. Check out easternecho.com for these stories and more as we continue to keep you updated. Be safe, keep others safe, and stay home. This has been the Eastern Echo Podcast, and this is Liz Hornyak, signing off.