Basketball

EMU men’s basketball announces captains ahead of 2021-22 season opening exhibition

Darion Spottsville and Bryce McBride named 2021-22 season captains following team vote.

The Eastern Michigan University men’s basketball season is gearing up for their start and fans are not going to want to miss it. With two weeks left before the beginning of the 2021-22 season, exhibition games are getting underway and team captains have been selected. 

The Eagles traveled to Oakland University on Thursday, Oct. 28, for their first exhibition matchup against the Golden Grizzlies. 

The ticket sales proceeds from the exhibition against the Golden Grizzlies will be donated to Covenant Academy, a Health Care Education school that assists in filling the critical health care shortage in Michigan due to the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The Eagles will also host Goshen College in an exhibition on Friday, Nov. 5, at 7 P.M. inside the Convocation Center. Admission for that game is free for all attendees. 

The program announced this year’s team captains in senior Darion Spottsville and junior Bryce McBride. The captains were chosen by a team vote.  

McBride started at point guard for the Eagles last season. McBride appeared in all 18 games, averaging 13.7 points per game which ranked second on the team. 

Spottsville appeared in 17 games for the Eagles last season. Spottsville averaged 5.2 points per game and finished third on the team in assists with 1.9 per game. 

The Eagles will be led by EMU alum and first-year Head Coach Stan Heath. Heath has coached at the collegiate level for 13 years, garnering four NCAA tournament appearances, one being an Elite Eight berth, and one NIT appearance. 

The Eagles welcome six new transfers for the 2021-22 season. The transfers consist of three true freshmen and two walk-ons. The Eagles find comfort in welcoming back five returning letter-winners from last season. 

The 2021-22 season officially starts on Tuesday, Nov. 9.

The Eastern Michigan Eagles travel to Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind. for a 6:30 P.M. matchup against the Big Ten opponent.

It’s not until Friday, Nov. 12, that the Eagles play at home inside the Convocation Center. The Eagles host Illinois State University at 6 p.m. for the home-opener.

For information of where to watch, team schedules, and more on Eastern Michigan men’s basketball, visit EMUEagles.com.