Robyn Ochs (right) and her partner Peg proudly became one of the first homosexual couples to get married when Massachusetts legalized gay marriage in 2004.

LGBT activist Ochs to speak on campus

During Bill Clinton’s first administration in 1996, the Defense of Marriage Act was passed stated: “No State needs to treat a relationship between persons of the same sex as a marriage … this is a federal law.” While this act was passed 14 years ago, it is still in effect today.

Today Robyn Ochs, an activist for LGBT causes, will be speaking here at Eastern Michigan University. She is expected to speak at 7 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom. Doors will open at 6:40 and admission is free.

Ochs has been an activist for more then 20 years and has published works such as her new book “Getting Bi: Voices of Bisexuals Around the World.” Other published works are included in various bisexual, women’s studies, multicultural and LGBT anthologies.

On May 17, 2004, Massachusetts made same sex marriage legal, and that same day Ochs married her partner Peg Preble. Ochs’ keynote will be giving a lecture about same sex marriage and making sense of the laws that surround this issue. There also will be a question-and-answer session at the end.

“She has a vast amount of knowledge about LGBT issues, specifically marriage equality,” LGBT program coordinator Mary Larkin said. “This is a hot topic right now in our nation. Also, she challenges people to understand that sexuality is a spectrum. Bisexuality is just as much a part of identification as being lesbian or gay. Robyn is a powerful and amazing speaker. She changes lives”

Ochs is viewed by many people as an inspiration and very powerful speaker. It is a wonderful opportunity for the EMU population to gain some insight on issues we might not have to face everyday.

LGBT QUEST

There are many different expectations about Ochs’ lecture. She has lectured on this topic and many other LGBT issues that have come up in recent years.

“I do expect Ms. Ochs to address the concerns of LGBT members and supports on the topic of marriage and the equality that encompasses ‘marriage.’ I also expect her to address the recent legislation in Congress,” said junior Christopher Cole, who is a member of the LGBT group on campus.