20071121 Conversation

Stop working, start napping

The Thanksgiving holiday is a time for families, football and food … right? No way. The holidays are a time for napping, and I, for one, cannot wait.

Thanksgiving Break means three days without classes, studying or exams. It means time to go home and see the family. It means three free days where I will gladly let my mom fuss over me.

I am the type of student whose life is dictated by her planner and her ever-growing list of deadlines. I don’t often have the time to sit down, relax and do nothing. This holiday, I have challenged myself to spend three whole days doing nothing school-related.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but this semester has really challenged my skills (as a student) and my sanity. I actually had to take my birthday off from work to study. I didn’t take the day off to go out and have fun, but to get homework done. And yes, before any of you ask, I am fully aware of how crazy that sounds.

This was a sign; a sign I need to slow down and take a break before I self-destruct. So I have vowed, no matter how much homework is due the Monday after break, I will take time to breathe and to relax. Even if I have to pencil it into my planner, it will happen.

To give this goal a fighting chance, I have actually been overworking the last week to get my assignments out of the way in the hopes I can leave my textbooks at my apartment and pack light for my parents’ house. It probably won’t happen, and I’m sure a few books will somehow magically appear in my backpack, but it’s a nice thought anyway.

Worried about my stress level, my friends actually challenged me to watch at least one mundane, “brainless” movie and take at least one nap every day. Since they worded it as a “challenge,” I had to accept their terms and even counter-challenge them with one day of sleeping in past 7 a.m.

While every year I am stressed out and ready to keel over from exhaustion every November, I am glad the holidays are here. I am glad I get to go home for a few days to see my parents and my puppies. I am glad I have to do all those annoying family obligations that come along with the holidays. But I am most thankful for the opportunity to slow down for a few days, recharge my batteries and spend three days away from campus.

I am looking forward to three days of my mom’s home cooking and watching football on the couch. And I challenge everyone else to take a day, or three, to relax and take a nap this holiday. I think everyone needs this break, even me.