Roundup: CMU tops Ohio for Mid-American Conference championship

DETROIT – Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour led his team Friday to a 20-10 victory over Ohio in the Mid-American Conference championship at Ford Field.

It was the third conference title in the past four seasons for CMU (11-2).

“It was a hard-fought game. I’m very proud of our football team,” CMU coach Butch Jones said. “We found a way to win. It wasn’t pretty, but we found a way.”

LeFevour had 255 yards passing and two touchdowns, which set two records. For his career, he has the most touchdowns (148) in FBS history and most passing touchdowns in MAC history (101).

Hawaii’s Colt Brennan and Texas Tech’s Graham Harrell held the FBS record for total touchdowns at 146. Florida’s Tim Tebow has 141. Marshall’s Chad Pennington held the MAC record for touchdown passes at 100.

LeFevour, who also ran for 51 yards, was named the game’s co-MVP with Ohio linebacker Noah Keller, who had a title-game record 16 tackles.

CMU held a 17-7 lead at halftime, and the teams exchanged field goals in the third quarter to end the scoring.

CMU accepted a bid to the GMAC Bowl against Troy in Mobile, Ala., and Ohio will play Marshall in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl – also at Ford Field.

Ohio (9-4) hasn’t won the MAC since 1968. CMU is ranked No. 25 in the latest AP poll.

Elsewhere, Western Kentucky lost, 24-20, to Arkansas State on Saturday to join Eastern Michigan University as the only teams to finish winless.

Women’s basketball improves to 6-2
Led by Tavelyn James’ 27 points, EMU’s women’s basketball team defeated Detroit Mercy, 72-55, on Saturday at Calihan Hall.

James was 9-of-21 from the floor and made five 3-pointers. She is averaging 20 points, which leads the Eagles (6-2).

Demeisha Fambro led UDM (1-5) with 22 points. Her team was held to 32 percent shooting, while EMU made 40 percent.

EMU’s Cassie Schrock, named MAC female scholar athlete of the week Friday, had five points, eight assists and five rebounds.

The Eagles play Rochester College at noon Wednesday at the Convocation Center.

Men’s basketball trounced by Ohio State, 111-60
No. 15 Ohio State scored 62 in the first half Saturday to run away with a 111-60 victory over EMU in Columbus, Ohio.

OSU (7-1) had five players in double figures, including 21 points from Jon Diebler.
Brandon Bowdry led EMU (5-3) with 24 points and 10 rebounds.

EMU made 24 turnovers and shot 43 percent. OSU made 63 percent of its shots, including 55 from beyond the 3-point line.

OSU guard Evan Turner broke two bones in his back while attempting a dunk in the first half and will miss eight weeks, the Associated Press reported Sunday.

He entered averaging 21 points and 12 rebounds and finished with four points and one rebound in seven minutes Saturday.

The Eagles play James Madison University at 7 p.m. Saturday at the Convocation Center.

Compiled by sports editor Justin Souva. Sports writer Kevin Pool contributed to this report.