College of Business aids B. Sides

Eastern Michigan University’s College of Business has begun to shape the next generation of business leaders.

David Mielke, dean of the COB, wants to modify the way Southeast Michigan operates by “trying to change the culture of Southeast Michigan, which has been too dependent on the Big Three [auto industry].”

Since 2007, the COB has been aided by the B. Side, or the Business Side of Youth program. Together they have collaborated in connecting the business community and Ypsilanti youth in taking a step toward shaping the future of tomorrow.

Courtney Fitzpatrick, the B. Side Community Outreach coordinator, said a number of students involved in the B. Side have been successful in their endeavors.

“Several students have their own businesses… [Tevyn Cole] started a fashion design line, another student started a traveling recording studio, and currently a student runs a catering business that caters events on the campus of EMU,” Fitzpatrick said. “Through the B. Side Basics program, Tevyn Cole started his own fashion design line. He uses T-shirts to bring awareness to black history.”

The COB and the B. Side fit together perfectly, achieving successful results in less than five years of their partnership.

The COB has three major components of Entrepreneur Center: Academic Programs, Small Business Center, and Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization, which sponsors the SESI Entrepreneurship Conference.

The B. Side was founded in 2007 as a project of Eastern Michigan University’s Office of Academic Service-Learning and it focuses on developing a youth entrepreneurial culture in the community.

The B. Side Basics program allows high school students to take part in intense eight-week entrepreneurial education classes at the COB.

This presents an opportunity for the high school students to meet faculty and current EMU business students, while allowing EMU to recruit these students to the COB.

“B. Side is an important program in recruiting for the College of Business,” Mielke said. “Micro Loan Program is great program fitting the CEO.”

COB

Success for the B. Side program was produced a year ago at the 12th Annual SESI Entrepreneurship Conference.

In only the second year the B. Side participated in the conference hosted by the CEO of SESI. B. Side participant Candise Washington placed second, becoming the recipient of $750. Also, two other B. Side participants received honorable mentions.

Angelina Hamilton Broderick, the B. Side’s assistant director, attributes much of the B. Side Basics’ success to the COB.

“Dean Mielke by offering up space, consultation, funding, generating business community support and helping B. Side launch their projects,” Hamilton said.

Mielke said, “[It was a] no brainer to provide space and resources to the B. Side program. B. Side has done an incredible job with their work training programs.”

Broderick also remarked on the joint effort between B. Side and the COB.
“In return, we help them out with their recruiting, business plans, and programs,” Broderick said.

Broderick defined the partnership as “A collaborative effort between the College of Business and B. Side, which are similar businesses working together.”

In less than a month, more success for B. Side participants could take center stage.

The 13th Annual SESI Entrepreneurship Conference hosted by EMU’s Collegiate Entrepreneurs’ Organization will be held Friday, Feb. 12 at the EMU Student Center with free admission.
For more information, visit the B. Side Web site at www.bsideofyouth.com.