John Dingell and some guy at that thing monday

Dingell tells jobs forum doing 'basics' is a key to being hired

Congressman John Dingell suggested students work on the basics, during a panel of human resource directors from major companies presenting a seminar Monday at the Student Center about getting hired.

Dingell, (D-Dearborn), said, “Writing and speaking are very important parts of getting hired for a job.”
While introducing Dingell, Provost Jack Kay said, “Twenty-five percent of all jobs that existed when a student began their four year degree will not exist when they graduate.”

The longest serving congressman of U.S. of House of Representatives Dingell, 83, who started his tenure at age 29 in 1955, put together this panel to help people understand how to apply for jobs and ask questions. This was an open forum seminar, where the audience could ask questions after each member of the panel gave job search tips and resume suggestions.

Mery Carrasco, a graduate student said, “The [job] tips the panel gave I already knew, but the open forum was very helpful.”
During the open forum segment a question by Sandra Sapienza, highlighted the difficult times people are having finding a jobs.

She said, “I am on 150 job boards and have six job hunters, and I’m still unable to get a job.”
Kimberly Bankston, director of human resources at General Electric, said having previous contact with the company helps.

“Interface with the company before you interview for a job, you can come talk to me after the seminar,” Bankston said.

“The seminar had great information on particular job tips for getting hired,” Michele Williams, SOS Community services employment supervisor said.

She attended the seminar to get information to help her community get jobs.

The panel noted several times during seminar on the importance of networking.

“Most jobs are found through networking,” said Paul Conway, senior vice president of Human Resources at Oakwood Healthcare.

Conway talked candidly about his job search, after he lost his job in the automotive industry.

“Know yourself, it starts with you. Your resume is about you and where you want to go with your job,” he said.
Dingell also provided insight on resumes.

“A resume is a document that your submitting to someone that you want them to hire you,” Dingell said. “You always want to be truthful in your resume… tailor your resume to the job your applying.”

The panel did address the fact the job market is overwhelmed with the amount of people searching for jobs. For the most part the panel told the job seekers to keep applying and to have confidence in themselves.

Michele Parker, Managing Director of Human Resource Operations for Delta Airlines, provided this knowledge of job-hunting to audience.

“At Delta a lot of time we have only one job opening, so I keep resumes aside from people that did not get the job, but if another job opening comes around I will contact them,” Parker said.

Interview with Congressman John Dingell

After the seminar was over Dingell discussed No Worker Left Behind, the importance of getting an education and manufacturing jobs in Michigan.

Is the No Worker Left Behind program working as a training program? Dingell responded by saying, “Best kind of program in the country, it provides the training and support that people need.” And will the No Worker Left Behind program be extended before it expires this summer? “It is my hope that it will, and my delegation is working hard to make sure of it.”

Is getting training and education the best option for getting hired in Michigan? John Dingell talked about how his father only needed a high school education for his job. “The [Dundee based Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance] GEMA Plant will not hire anybody that does not have a least two years of community education,” He also noted, “Training is indispensable in building a sustainable job path for the future.”

Is manufacturing still the most important industry in Michigan? Congressman Dingell, a veteran of World War II said, “The U.S. was built on manufacturing. If this country did not have manufacturing, the U.S. would not be a secure society… Manufacturing made the weaponry that protected the country during World War II.”