Brad Fairchild

Track and field coach resigns amid controversy

Eastern Michigan University men’s track and field coach Brad Fairchild resigned effective last Wednesday after he had been made aware of NCAA violations.

John Goodridge, current men’s cross country coach and assistant track and field coach, will take over for Fairchild on an interim basis.

“After meeting with Brad Fairchild concerning NCAA rules violations, it was determined that he would resign from his position as head coach of the Eastern Michigan University men’s track and field team,” EMU Director of Athletics Dr. Derrick Gragg said in a release. “The NCAA violations resulted from inadequate record keeping and did not result in any competitive advantage to the institution.”

Fairchild was suspended in 2008 for similar violations.

He replaced former coach Bob Parks, who addressed that situation via email.

“There was a minor clerical rules situation in 2008, that caused them to bring me back as interim coach for two weeks, during his suspension, and, unfortunately, another minor one this indoor season, caused by an oversight of cross-checking an eligibility list,” Parks said.

“Both involved marginal athletes, who Brad allowed to be on the team. Neither incident caused any advantage to be gained by the program. The athlete, whose name was missing on the eligibility form, was added to it, three days after he competed in a non-scored meet.”

Fairchild, 42, had been working with the track and field team since 1993, when he was hired as an assistant by Parks. Fairchild was working on his 10th season as coach, and his squads had won Mid-American Conference indoor titles in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Fairchild could not be reached for comment.