LIFE HOME-WBS-CHAMPAGNE 2 KC

Aphrodisiacs: fact or fiction?

Aphrodisiacs are foods that supposedly arouse sexual desire. They have been around as long as food, but how much do you personally know about them? You might have heard about a few, but have you ever read about why they work or how they might affect you?

Alcohol is an aphrodisiac because it releases your inhibitions and has a legendary reputation for pushing so many over the edge. Alcohol has effects on your testosterone levels and libido. It also has a slight side effect of erectile dysfunction; this is because it slows down blood flow, which of course is necessary for anything to happen, proving once and for all the universe has a since of irony.

Other drugs like ecstasy, LSD, marijuana and cocaine all have very similar effects. Almost all drugs release some kind of inhibitions but have serious side effects that inhibit you from actually having sex.

Ginseng root, turtle eggs and animal testicles are only aphrodisiacs in fantasy, not reality. Most of the legends surrounding these types of aphrodisiacs come because of the rarity of the food or because of their relationship to sex organs. Avocados and bananas are considered aphrodisiacs because they look similar to the phallus and testicles.

Oysters can be considered an aphrodisiac because of a psychological aspect surrounding them more than a chemical one. An oyster resembles the female’s lower region, so cultures consistently relate oysters to sex. Oysters do, however, possess zinc, which is necessary in sperm production and contains chemicals that increase testosterone; but it is still under speculation if oysters actually have any real influence on the libido.

Chocolate is only an aphrodisiac because people accept it as such. There are no medical studies that show chocolate increases sexual desire. But sweets do increase pleasure and as long as chocolate is America’s No. 1 Valentines Day candy, it will always be a sort of psychological sex stimulant.

There is a whole section of natural herbs that do, in fact, have scientific proof supporting their effects on sexual desire. Things like yohimbe, tribulus and maca are all aphrodisiac herbs. Most medication is extracted from plants. Yohimbe is a bark from Africa that Viagra is extracted from, but too much can be lethal. So if you are going to take natural medications, find professionals licensed to sell and prescribe the right dosage.