Jeremy Push, a Phi Sig fraternity brother, relaxes on the porch of the Phi Sig House on Normal Street.

Fraternity, sorority members satisfied with Greek life despite outside scrutiny

Normal Street is aglow with warm light and laughter on summer nights when residents of Greek houses come out to sit on porches and make merry with passers-by. Though there are several clusters of fraternity and sorority houses scattered throughout Ypsilanti, Normal Street seems to boast the highest concentration and could be thought of as Eastern Michigan University’s ‘Greek Row.’

Pavel Rusin of Phi Sigma Kappa beams with pride as he explains the ins and outs of membership in his fraternity.  His persona is that of a budding professional — he speaks articulately and with great clarity. Shirtless and surrounded by his fraternity brothers one violet-stained evening, he is in his element.

“Phi Sigma Kappa is a Greek social organization with a value-based recruitment policy,” Rusin said. He explained this to mean that, although many hopefuls will rush PSK, only those with an outstanding GPA and record of community involvement will be considered.

Rusin stressed the most important function of the fraternity was to be a positive presence in the community.  

“We do fundraisers at Cedar Point by running games there, and we’ve even volunteered at the world’s largest rabbit sanctuary,” he said. “We often align our programming with sororities and community events.”

However, negative stereotypes and perceptions of Greek organizations do exist and several EMU students indicated that they thought poorly of the Greek lifestyle.

“I never joined a fraternity and was kind of turned off to the whole thing because I’m not a fan of the idea of their lifestyle,” recent EMU graduate John Lindstedt said. “We all know the stereotypes – the chest-pounding alpha male or the sorority bimbo.”

The “Animal House” image may be true in part, as the Kappa Phi Alpha house on Normal Street is currently waiting out a three-year suspension period after which it may re-apply for recognition by the university. The suspension is related primarily to an alleged sexual assault that took place at a party in February 2009. Despite the fact that it is not a sanctioned Greek organization, the house continues to display its letters and operate as though it were.

“No one can tell us we have to take [the letters] down,” said Patrick Shaughnessy of Kappa Phi Alpha. “It’s our First Amendment right.”

“In the early 2000s, we had been pretty bad with our grades and were always throwing big parties,” said Joe Russel, also of Kappa Phi Alpha. “Though we’ve really been cleaning up our act since then, that kind of record didn’t help us when the University was deciding whether to kick us out or not.”

One peek through the doorway or around the yard of a fraternity speaks volumes on its upkeep.  

“It’s disgusting,” said Tyler Durdin, a member of Phi Sigma Kappa. “I mean, it’s a bunch of dudes living together. I really think that there’s a distinctive brand of nasty in every different house.

“But I’ve had a very positive experience. I met my best friend at Rush, and I think Greek organizations provide a real sense of family and belonging to people who might have come to Eastern from out of state and are far away from their old friends.”

Other members of a Greek organization share Durdin’s positive view of the experience.

“There are about 650 members of fraternities and sororities at EMU in 25 organizations,” Greek Life adviser Noah Borton said. “We actually did a survey a year ago and 84 percent of our members indicated they were satisfied with their membership, which I think is a pretty strong number.

“Our research really shows that the things leading to that high satisfaction are the leadership skills, the personal growth, the academic support, and the community involvement. These organizations provide an opportunity for a well-rounded collegiate experience.”

For some fraternity and sorority members, their organizations are more than a good experience.

“Sigma Nu is what kept me at Eastern, and I’m very satisfied with my experience,” Sigma Nu president Brian Quinn said.

As freshman move-in day approaches, many incoming students will be considering the merits and demerits of Greek community membership.

“Before making a decision, get to know some people in the organization,” Quinn said. “You need to be among like-minded brothers if you’re going to be in a fraternity with them.”

It is also important to note the many Greek lettered organizations that have nothing to do with traditional fraternities or sororities. Kappa Kappa Psi, for instance, is a co-ed organization for those in the university’s band program. Psi Chi is an international honors organization for those studying psychology. A wide number of professional Greek-lettered organizations exist for particular fields of study.

“My roommate is active in the Greek scene and she enjoys it,” senior Christina Waszak said. “She’s in Kappa Kappa Psi and has a great time with it.”