Little Me

'Little Me' is engaging musical comedy romp

As audience members filed in to Eastern Michigan University’s production of “Little Me” at Sponberg Theatre this past Saturday, musical director, arranger and performer R. MacKenzie Lewis engaged the audience with comedic musical improv harkening back to ‘60s era Rat Pack.

With the beautiful actress Kelly Stonebraker sultrily sitting by him as he struck the ivories, MacKenzie led the audience in renditions of Sinatra’s “Come Fly With Me,” Three Dog Night’s “Joy to the World,” (complete with hand motions for the audience to replicate) and a visit to “Old MacDonald’s Farm” featuring a stuttering cow and a drug-dealing duck. The surreal humor of the warming up segment only slightly prepared the audience for the laughs that would only grow more raucous and frequent as the evening progressed.

“Little Me,” written by Neil Simon in the early ‘60s with music by Cy Coleman and lyrics by Carolyn Leigh, tells the whimsical story of Belle Schlumpfert (Stonebraker), a girl from the wrong side of the tracks in early 20th century Venezuela, Ill. She meets and falls in love with upperclass Noble Eggelston (Andy Orscheln). His mother, Mrs. Eggelston (Pam Cardell) does not approve of the union due to Belle’s lack of wealth, social position and culture, which prompts Belle to set out on a decades-long journey to obtain all three.

Along her quest, Belle’s adventures provide tongue-in-cheek homage to a number of other Broadway plays and even some films. When she is put on trial for the murder of her elderly husband, she is approached by two vaudeville producers who want to make a star out of her, not unlike scenarios in “Chicago.” Later, similarities to Mel Brook’s “The Producers” are hard to ignore, as two zany producers search for a director and find a hilarious German-accented sandwich deliveryman named Otto Schnitzler (Orscheln) to run the film. To go further, the film “Moses Takes a Wife” is a send-up to Elizabeth Taylor’s notorious 1963 flop “Cleopatra,” in that it is financial failure but critical success and the similar subject material. There are even modern parodies involving the ship “Gigantic” striking an iceberg.

Director Ken Stevens cast the show perfectly and every actor shines. Orscheln’s seven characters are executed perfectly in wacky, yet believable, ways. He is able to hilariously portray characters ranging from comically debonair to a sensual French caricature. Stonebraker’s portrayal of Belle is wonderful as we see the character grow from a naïve 16-year-old into a worldly woman of sass, intelligence and talent. Even supporting characters portrayed by Lewis, Maxim Hunt and Pam Cardell (who was also the assistant producing director) stole different scenes. Furthermore, every woman on stage was gorgeous. This cannot be understated: Stevens cast some of the area’s most beautiful, funny and talented women for this production.

There were a few minor detractions from the production, including brief microphone and lighting issues, which were easy to ignore. Perhaps the only serious complaints heard from regrettably small audience (perhaps 100 attendees) after the show focused on the way the play was broken up.

“The first act was amazing, I couldn’t stop laughing! But after the 15-minute intermission, the momentum was almost gone and the second Act seemed… a bit slower,” said audience member Jessica Ray, an undecided sophomore at EMU.

However, Ray was quick to point out that even the slower pace did not detract too greatly from the overall production. She even suggests the lack of momentum criticism only comes after really having to think of something wrong with the show.

On the whole, the show was a perfect endgame for EMU’s Theatre season. Brian Carbine’s choreography was fantastic, R. MacKenzie Lewis’ musical arrangements were fun and lively, and John Charles simple set design worked perfectly with the simple props and costumes. The director and cast’s love for the show permeated the atmosphere and the audience could tell everyone involved was having the time of their lives, holding back laughter and simply loving the experience. That attitude made it easier to enjoy what was already a well-written musical.

“Little Me” will be performed one more weekend, this June 10-12 at 7 p.m. at Sponberg Theatre. Picnic games and goodies will be available to the audience 30 minutes before showtime.

Tickets are $10 for regular admission and students and $7 for Mainstage patrons. For tickets or further information, call the box office at (734) 487-2282 or visit www.emutix.com.