U-M instructor teaches Ojibwe

Native speaker gives free lessons

“Maajtaadaa,” says University of Michigan instructor Howard Kimewon, as his lecture at EMU begins [maajtaadaa means let’s start].

He articulates the Ojibwe words syllable by syllable as the students’ voices attempt to emulate his pronunciations. In between this auditory exercise, Kimewon will interject little cultural notes, “For every sentence you speak in this language you can say it seven different ways… including saying it frontward or backward.”

The free Ojibwe language class offered by EMU is more than just learning a new language. It is learning about a new culture and history, which have direct roots to this region.

“Exposure to a language this specific to this region is a unique thing to do,” said Kellen Holowicki, a senior double majoring in history and social studies. “Not many people take a native language.”

Ojibwe [Anishinaabemowin] is the most common native language spoken throughout Michigan.

“Students never realize this was the original language spoken here before the settlers,” Kimewon said.

He teaches Ojibwe language courses at the University of Michigan and is hosting this free nine-week course in the Student Center.

“My friend took Ojibwe at U-M… and had Professor Howard,” Kellen said. “And I wanted to incorporate the language and any cultural things that come up in this class into my classrooms.”

Stephen Bridenstine, a graduate from U-M, attends the course, “because I regret not taking Ojibwe as an undergraduate.” He found out about the free course offered at EMU through an Ojibwe Facebook group.

This course has six weeks left. It started Sept. 27, and runs from 6-8 p.m. every Monday in room 330 in the Student Center, and students can receive learning beyond the classroom credit for attending.

Meaning spirit island in Ojibwe, Manitoulin, Ontario is Kimewon’s hometown and he grew up with Ojibwe as his first language. There are six reserves on Manitou [an island in Lake Huron], the largest island in a freshwater lake in the world, according to planetspedia.org. Kimewon belongs to the Wikwemikong reservation.

“The language was outlawed for a number of years in Michigan, as Native American children were put into boarding schools [and forced to speak the English language],” Kimewon said. “It was not recognized as language for a long time.”

“Kate Ordeal had students here that wanted to learn the language,” Kimewon said on how this free course in the Ojibwe Language began three years ago at EMU.

“(Kimewon) is a very good professor and humorous,” said Brindenstine, the only male attendee. “I really want to learn, and I am taking this serious.”
During this class that has been averaging about 10 students, Kimewon will have each student engage in reciting Anishinaabemowin words or sentences. He will lend his expertise by correcting the pronunciations, but he also adds an element of humor.

“I tell my children, gaawiin pane n’miaayaasiimi miinwaa naadamaadiig,” He said before translating. “We won’t always be here to help you.”

Kimewon has had three students who have gone on to study the language, one of whom attended a Native American Festival in Sault Ste. Marie with him. Another student, after attending this free course in Ojibwe, went to California to speak the language in more depth.

Kimewon’s Ojibwe language classes at EMU will continue every Monday. For more information, visit ojibwe.net.