PLG-GADGETS-3 MCT

iPhone app to educate EMU on campus events

In an attempt to keep pace with technology and students’ needs, Eastern Michigan University has recently completed the launch of its first mobile device application for Apple’s iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. The EMU app, which is now available for free through Apple App Store, will be an informative and helpful tool for the EMU students, staff and faculty.

“It is a good idea, and is convenient for students,” EMU senior Julianne Scott said. “They will be more apt to look at EMU events.”

The free app not only includes university news, updates and events, but also athletic updates and information including scores and schedules. For students or visitors having trouble navigating the campus there will be an interactive campus map. The app will also include Twitter updates and links, new videos and photos, EMU polls, the fight song and weather forecast.

“It is fun modern technology, it is what the students are into,” freshman Dianne Reinel said.
Eastern began the process over a year ago exploring the option of using the technology to enhance EMU marketing and communications.

“EMU was looking at ways to share university information and stories,” said Ted Coutilish, Associate Vice President of Marketing at EMU.

To bring this app to students EMU worked with Straxis Technology. Based out of Tulsa, Okla., the company allows schools, such as EMU, to customize their app by supplying features and technology.

“We are working with over 50 colleges and universities,” said Jeff Stump, Director of Mobile Solutions for Straxis Technology.

Straxis developed the app based on their U360 Mobile platform, and the foundation for the features included on the app was substantiated by their research.

“Since we specialize in higher ed (education), it is crucial that we review the latest research and studies,” Stump said about the research process conducted by Straxis, “However, some of the best feedback we have received is from the voice of the customer, which includes students, parents and alumni.”

To get information on what is happening on campus many students adhere to fliers or word of mouth. The app is intended to be more efficient and interactive in disseminating EMU campus events and programs to students.

“(To) have the ability to be aware of on going events on campus without stepping on campus,” said Alton Smith, a social work major. “A lot of times students are unaware of events happening on campus.”

Another added bonus this Apple Application gives EMU is the admissions checklist for prospective students. The app will provide prospective students an easier time getting information and enrolling.

“The hope is that it will have a positive effect,” Coutilish said, “It will be easier to get information about what is going on at EMU.”

The app is expected to expedite the process for users to get information and allow for more interaction between EMU and it’s community. The university is planning on this app becoming a plus for student life on campus.

“It will have a major effect and draw more support for events, as long as students know about this app,” said Antonio Smith, a student majoring in management, discussing the possible impact of the app on EMU student life.

EMU is in the process of getting this app for other mobile devices, as Coutilish said, it will soon be available to non-Apple devices such as the Blackberry and the Android.

“I will look into getting it,” said Scott, who anticipates being one of many EMU students to use this app. “It is helpful to have all EMU stuff in one spot.”