Journey to MSU Open leads to mixed results

On Saturday, Nov. 13, the Eastern Michigan University wrestling team traveled to East Lansing to compete in the Michigan State University Open at Jenison Field House. EMU had two wrestlers place: Filberto Colon, in the 133-lbs. weight class, finishing fourth and Mike LeHolm in the141-lbs. weight class who also earned fourth place.

Colon (133) lost his first match to Virginia Tech’s Erick Spjut, 7-0. Colon came back to win four consecutive matches only to lose in a rematch with Spjut in the third place bout.

In Colon’s victories, he managed to pin three opponents in less than two minutes and faced his teammate Andrew Novak who had previously left the match with an injury. Novak came into the bout after his first loss of the day in overtime to Northern Illinois University’s Kevin Fanta, 8-6.

LeHolm (141) won his first two matches over NIU’s Patrick McLemore with a 2:29 pin and Indiana University’s Alex Warren in a 6-1 decision. However, Purdue University’s Juan Archuleta won the match against LeHolm, 12-4.

David Wade (285) struggled Saturday going 1-2 on the day. Andrew Novak (133), Seth Schaner (141), J.J. Johnson (149) and Nick Hendrick (165) finished their day losing their last two to go (2-2). Brent Winekoff (157) went (2-2) in the freshmen/sophomore bracket.

Although the trend for the Eagles was to drop two straight, LeHolm managed to win against Purdue’s All-American Cashé Quiroga, 2-1. The win sent him to the third place bout against Indianapolis University’s Matt Irwin (141). The bout went into overtime and Irwin would come away with a 2-1 victory.

The MSU open had wrestlers showcased from Bucknell, Notre Dame College, Central Michigan, Findlay, Trine, Virginia Tech, Cleveland State, Olivet, Purdue, Northern Illinois, Ohio State, Eastern Michigan, University of Michigan, and Michigan State.

Head coach Derek DelPorto and his team are slated to start play Saturday, Nov. 21 against Harvard, Sacred Heart, and Binghamton. EMU will travel to Binghamton, N.Y., to kick off the Sprawl & Brawl for the all day event. The Eagles return to action at Bowen Field House at 7 p.m., Dec. 3 to host Cleveland State.