Literary magazines at Eastern Michigan give students creative outlet

“Cellar Roots” and “Body Electric” are two literary magazines run by Eastern Michigan University students. “Body Electric’s” deadline has already passed; their Vol. 6 will be out on Saturday, Dec. 10. “Cellar Roots” is currently taking submissions for poetry, short story and visual art until Saturday, Dec. 27. Neither literary magazine has a theme this year.

Although these are two different magazines, both magazines’ editors-in-chief share a love of stories and the promise of discovering literary novelty. Jordan Schotz, 20, creative writing major, edits “Cellar Roots,” and Katelyn Hadyniak, 21, secondary education major, edits “Body Electric.”

When Schotz was growing up, she was always an avid reader. Her father encouraged her love of literature and creativity in her pursuits. She hopes to work at a publishing house as an editor when she graduates.

“It wasn’t that big of a jump from reading to writing,” Schotz said. “I wanted to create my own stories when I was younger. I enjoy writing and meeting other writers. It’s fun creating a new world.”

Hadyniak struggled with English class until her ninth-grade English teacher introduced her to “Romeo and Juliet.” Hadyniak’s teacher made it interactive and translated it to make the material relatable and understandable to adolescents.

“My teacher taught me ‘Romeo and Juliet’ in the best way possible,” Hadyniak said. “We want to relate with others to what is going on in our lives. Reading Shakespeare pushed me to write poems. Then I took a creative writing class, and I never looked back.”

“Cellar Root’s” content for this year is dependent on the jurors’ top suggestions. Jurors include professors from EMU and University of Michigan, as well as published writers. In the past, “Cellar Roots” has accepted about 20-30 works of writing and 25-35 works of visual art. It comes out with one volume a school year. Cellar Roots is free to the public and there are copies available in the Student Center Bookstore.

“Think outside of the box,” Schotz said. “Write in a way that is new to the reader, from a different style or point of view. Even if it is the same story, make it new by adding something different.”

“Body Electric” was first established in 2007, when a group of students decided to start a literary magazine for their final project in class ENGL 121. They produce two volumes, which are free, in the fall and winter semesters. Each volume accepts about 25 works, and the next deadline will be in late January or early February.

“Good writing is out of the ordinary and it surprises me,” Hadyniak said. “What’s cliché is I-love-you poetry. It’s typical, mushy, and I’ve heard it all before.”

Hadyniak’s hope for “Body Electric” is it grows to encompass artists from Ypsilanti to Ann Arbor and will have more types of people contributing, instead of just college students. Although they currently don’t have a website, “Body Electric” is a group on Facebook. For those interested in helping with or obtaining a copy of “Body Electric,” email body.electric.zine@gmail.com.

“Cellar Roots” will be hosting its first Cellar Roots Write-In, a writing workshop from 8-9:30 p.m. on Dec. 8 in Student Center room 301. There will be an informal critique of others’ work as well as creative writing exercises. Schotz hopes to hold more Write-Ins during the winter semester, if enough people show up for the one on Dec. 8.

The jurors for “Cellar Roots” will finish making suggestions to the staff on Jan. 25 and then the “Cellar Roots” staff will edit and create the magazine. Schotz is still looking for people to help publish “Cellar Roots.” Those interested can contact Schotz at cellarroots.editorinchief@gmail.com.