Swimming and diving men win, women second

The Eastern Michigan University men’s swimming and diving team won its 13th straight EMU Invitational this weekend, scoring 1171.5 points, out scoring eight other teams over a span of two days.

Eagles sophomore Jacob Hanson took two first-place finishes, including his top finish in the 400 IM where he clocked in 3:57.24.
Michael Swain and Troy Esentan were not far behind, finishing in second and third in the 400 IM to complete a 1-2-3 sweep.

EMU would accomplish the same feat in the 200 freestyle, when August Everson finished first (1:42.73), followed by Matt Zavislak in second and Gilles in third.

Jeffery Craig broke a meet record scoring 392.85 points, finishing on top of the leader board.

Justin Griggs won the 100 butterfly with a time of 49.6, as well as taking second place in the 100 backstroke.

The team has a long break before heading to Miami to welcome the new year and take part in the Florida International University Invitational on Jan. 2, 2011.

Women’s swimming

EMU women’s swimming and diving took its eighth consecutive second-place finish at the EMU Invitational.

The University of Michigan took home first place, with a score of 865, followed by the Eagles at a distant second with 694.5 and Ball State rounded out the top three with 649.5.

Briana Emig had a strong meet, posting a 4:49.75 which was good enough for second place in the 500 freestyle, as well as a 4:24 time and a second-place finish in the 400 IM.

Emig also helped pace the Eagles relay team, which included Sarah Maraskine, Sarah Kowalski and Helena Tolic to a third-place finish in the 800 freestyle relay.

Men’s basketball

Eastern’s men’s basketball dropped two more games this weekend at the Basketball Travelers Classic held at the University of Idaho.
Saturday the Eagles fell 54-49 to the North Dakota fighting Sioux, on Friday the Eagles narrowly lost by 64-63 to Monmouth University.

Saturday, down 27-22 heading into halftime, the Eagles started the second half with a 10-6 run making the score 33-32.

The teams would continue to trade scores, seeing the game tied at 47 with 1:21 remaining.

After a Brandon Bowdry layup, the Eagles would not score again. From that point on North Dakota would put the game away with free throws.

The Eagles have not won a game since their home opener against Madonna and are 1-5.

The Eagles have been picked to finish as high as second in the MAC in pre-season polls.